Tone Bender MkII filtering cap

Started by yeeshkul, September 09, 2008, 10:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yeeshkul

If i use something like 330uF instead of typical 47uf filtering cap - would it have any influence on the sound?
I want to do it just to help filtering some wall wart noise ...

thanks
Jan

John Lyons

You can use it but it may not make a audible difference.
It will help filter the DC smoother but whether you hear it is negligable.
You can try a 100ohm resistor in series with the 9v supply and that may help the filtering, as well as the big cap.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

bluesdevil

If I remember correctly, when I had my ToneBender on the breadboard I tried higher values and it did affect the sound. Either made it muffled or took away sustain.... maybe both. Maybe use a socket if you can, just in case.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

John Lyons

We're talking about the cap from 9v to ground correct?
This should have no effect on anything but possible hum
or noise from the power supply, no?

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

yeeshkul

thank you John, that's what i think, just wanna be sure. The 100R is good idea! By the way i like the Ennio Morricone T-shirt you have on you web :)

Harmonica: I saw three of these dusters a short time ago, they were waiting for a train. Inside the dusters, there were three men.
Cheyenne: So?
Harmonica: Inside the men, there were three bullets.

yeeshkul

one more thing - i checked out this Cry Babe schem. and I see they use 220uF in parallel with 100nF(??) + 1k res. Guys do you have any idea why they connect those two caps together? Can it be just some sort of a subtle adjustement of the filter?

John Lyons

Large caps work well to smooth out the power supply but they aren't very efficient at high frequencies.
By putting a smaller (relatively) cap across the larger one you help with higher frequency noise and possible oscillations.
The 1K is staving the current and giving the circuit a little less power.
With a 47 or 100 ohm resistor you are helping with noise but with a larger resistor you start to change the way the circuit sounds.
With op amps some people find the circuit "sweeter" or "brown".
You can hook up a 5K pot and play with starving the circuit. Zvex, Joe Gagan, and others use this as a panel knob.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

yeeshkul

thanks again John! everything clear now.  ;)