Steby fuzz (easy thingy) schematic

Started by Steben, September 09, 2008, 11:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

Simply a PNP Steby boost with direct coupled NPN steby boost.
Nice beginner project, no?
With fuzz P1 backed down, you still have a nice booster.
I guess it works with germanium as well as silicon.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

earthtonesaudio

Gus

IIRC At Jack's site he had a schematic of a 60's fuzz circuit it was a EF, volume pot then a stage something like that

Steben

Quote from: Gus on September 09, 2008, 12:07:06 PM
IIRC At Jack's site he had a schematic of a 60's fuzz circuit it was a EF, volume pot then a stage something like that

Dou you mean this?
http://www.muzique.com/schem/sixties.gif

Well, the big difference is the very low parts count and the input bias/fuzz combination in one pot.
The Steby fuzz can behave a lot as a typical low impedance loader (as wah's, bazz fuss and FF), while the 60ties fuzz has much higher input impedance.
The volume pot is actually a Rangemaster trick.  ;D
  • SUPPORTER

morpha2

Nice layout! What does the Steby sound compare to?

liddokun

To those about to rock, we salute you.

Marc.yo

correct that absolute error in the LED - ampere measurement!!!! lol

other than that it looks cool

Steben

Quote from: Marc.yo on September 09, 2008, 08:37:51 PM
correct that absolute error in the LED - ampere measurement!!!! lol
other than that it looks cool

Why?
because there is none?  ;D
Standard info on my projects...
3300 ohms resistor on high efficient LED gives 2.5mA.

@Dragonlfy:
Dude,...
You are awesome, man...  :P
  • SUPPORTER

liddokun

It's almost too simple I want to cry.  I'm digging seeing circuits like this up more often, I can spend a quite weekend afternoon with my breadboard and build and test like...10 different fuzzes like this and see what they sound like.  The parts are not only low in number, but common.
To those about to rock, we salute you.

earthtonesaudio

You know, it looks simple but it's actually pretty interesting how it seems to work... (I may be wrong though)

The 100k pot acts like a voltage divider for AC but as a fixed resistor for DC, using the "fixed bias" configuration, but adjustable.  :P

The PNP transistor acts as a current source for the NPN.

If I had this on the breadboard right now, I would be interested to see what happens if you connect the bottom lug of the 100k pot to the collector of the PNP instead of ground...
And also what happens if you connect the emitter of the PNP to the collector of the NPN.

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Steben

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on September 11, 2008, 12:08:42 PM
You know, it looks simple but it's actually pretty interesting how it seems to work... (I may be wrong though)
The 100k pot acts like a voltage divider for AC but as a fixed resistor for DC, using the "fixed bias" configuration, but adjustable.  :P
The PNP transistor acts as a current source for the NPN.

the 100k pot is not fixed for DC.
With the pot all down you have grounded PNP base, which is the same as supply voltage to base of a NPN.
;-)

If I had this on the breadboard right now, I would be interested to see what happens if you connect the bottom lug of the 100k pot to the collector of the PNP instead of ground...

Seems feedback bias.

And also what happens if you connect the emitter of the PNP to the collector of the NPN.

emitter of PNP is at +9V...
  • SUPPORTER

earthtonesaudio

Eh, I mean "variable resistor" not "fixed resistor."  Funny how the brain thinks one thing and the hands type another.

Quote from: Steben on September 11, 2008, 03:27:43 PM
With the pot all down you have grounded PNP base, which is the same as supply voltage to base of a NPN.
;-)

Hm.  Might not be the best thing for device longevity.

Steben

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on September 11, 2008, 04:11:47 PM
Quote from: Steben on September 11, 2008, 03:27:43 PM
;-)
Hm.  Might not be the best thing for device longevity.

No, but no one plays with the gain on zero; there will always be some Kohms as bias resistor.
  • SUPPORTER

earthtonesaudio

Good point.  But I needed practice making layouts, so here's my over-engineered take on it anyway (not verified):

I didn't remember the values of the capacitors when I got home, so I just made them all 10u, oops!