Filtering Cap size for GGG Ultra Clean

Started by sjaltenb, September 13, 2008, 04:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

Hello,

I am kind of new to power supplies in general but I have learned a TON by searching and reading all I can. One question I have:

Is there any point in using anything larger than 1000uf for the filtering cap? I want the absolute cleanest power possible. The power will be provided by a custom toroidal transformer, that will feed about 10 different GGG ultra cleans for my board.

I have seen pics of Pete Cornish's power supplies and the filtering caps are HUGE! He has to place them in a clamp off of the board and wire it to the pcb. So, basically, if you dont mind the work or paying the extra money, is there ANY advantage to using something like 2200 or 4700uf?

Also, if you had to pick, what would be the preferred input voltage for this PS, if you are only going to draw about 1-300ma.  It calls for 25v in but i've heard that 12 is fine...is this true with up to 1000ma? Some of the supplies will only feed a single effect which will prob only draw 30ma, others PS will be powering multiple pedals.

thanks!