Talk to me about bridging pots with resistors...........

Started by frequencycentral, September 13, 2008, 03:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrStab

really glad this thread was bumped - whenever i try to find definitive info on just bridging the outer lugs of a pot, i can only find info on bridging lugs next to each other. so thanks for the graphs & schematics, guys - really informative. Ctrl+D!
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

fishfude

Right I'm super duper confused! Why bother connect to leg 3 (the ground leg) at all - It seems like unnecessary wiring? Why not just connect legs one and two to the circuit (we're just using the pot as a series resistor right?) and if you want to taper it, put the appropriate resistor across those legs in parallel?

Please enlighten me :D

Cheers,

ff

PRR

> Why bother connect to leg 3

Some day the wiper (pin 2) will lose contact with the pot resistor.

Tying the "unused" pin means when that happens it only goes to "10" instead of to infinity.

Depending on the circuit, this may or may not matter much.

It really is easier to bend some extra wire to the idle pin and solder than to think about how it would go wrong.
  • SUPPORTER

fishfude

Ok I get it, its not necessary, it's just prudent!

Thanks PRR!

victor nery

please delete this. sorry for the trouble.
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole law!"

Baran Ismen

Am I too stupid to comprehend this matter or my pots are just weird?

http://web.archive.org/web/20210203023928/https://www.elby-designs.com/webtek/documents/tailoringpotentionometers.pdf

According to this PDF file's 5th Figure, I need to solder a 100k resistor between 2 active lugs of my 1m linear pot and it becomes logarithmic, right?

Mine becomes however something completely different, it reads around 80k or something. For Rev.Log, what shall I do? Add a resistor of 10m?

Thing is, the circuit I deal with right now is Small Stone and there are only 2 lugs connected. 3rd one is empty, or shorted to 2nd.

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..