Stupidly Wonderful Llama + Mosfet Boost

Started by twangquack, September 15, 2008, 12:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twangquack

I finally finished the single-enclosure combination of the modified Red Llama and an AMZ Mosfet Boost and I like it a great deal! It sat around mostly finished while I worked on other projects ... I wasn't that curious because I had previously tried the Mosfet Boost into the Llama (the Llama since given to a friend) and was pleased how the MB seemed to reduce the bass notes fartiness issue sometimes encountered with the Llama. Nevertheless, I went ahead and made the output cap switchable ( 5 uF for use with single coils and .22 uF for humbuckers) and I think these values work well for my equipment. Some might prefer the 5 uF side of the switch to be either the stock 10 uF or something around 1-2 uF, and the .22 uF side of the switch to be just a bit larger value ... say, .3 uF or even higher ... but even though my arrangement seems like a big difference, it seems to work well.

One important note is that I wanted a tone knob for the Llama part of the pedal and so I used the "Stupidly Wonderful Llama" mod on this page (the .pdf file / schematic):
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36530.0

Besides the reversal of the volume and tone pots (values), I also added a "smooth" switch across the volume pot -- a silver mica cap combination (several in parallel) to make up a total of 282 pF -- from past experience I found I like this exact value (350 pF or so was a bit much, but I didn't like as low as 200 pF -- just not enough). In any case, when I was biasing the Mosfet Boost, I found I like 5.15 - 5.2 volts better than 4.5 volts. It sounds good to my ears either alone as a boost or to kick the Llama in the pants.

With the fix/position of the knobs to be full minimum at approx. 7:00, setting the Llama's gain between 10:00 and 12:00 and the Mosfet Boost's knob to 11:00 or so, it sounds really good for soloing! I especially like playing my Tele with the bridge pickup alone, output cap switched to .22 uF, and "smooth" switch on. It's FUN with my Deluxe Reverb! The "MOS-LLAMA" turned out to be an especially low-noise build (love that shielded wire for input and output) and something as simple as having that green LED for the MB and the (what else?) red one for the Llama is quite satisfying to look at when a pedal has sat around for awhile, calling out to be finished. I used a pre-painted red sparkle enclosure which was the first time I haven't painted my own enclosure.

AMZ-based aside: A big shout-out to Jack for his great Super Buffer. Stoked from the "MOS-LLAMA" build, I used a Burr-Brown OPA2604 for IC1 and an LF353 for IC2 for the Super Buffer and I really, really like this as a general use buffer. It's amazing how it really lets my single coils (especially in my Tele) shine through, since I'm so ridiculously cheap in my cord choices (basic cords, but not the horribly awful stuff). Sometimes you just want a "straight into the amp" type of tone without a clean boost, but don't want those budget cord capacitance issues -- LOVE my Super Buffer! The IC choice might have room for optimization, I don't know ... these were extras I had laying around and seem to sound pretty good together. Oh sure, I have an extra, super-clean, modded GE-7 that could be used as clean boost or for buffering (as well as EQ) but the Super Buffer is so fun in that "I do one thing and I do it really well" kind of way!

twangquack

Meant to add (correction) that the 5 uF output cap sounds KILLER with my Tele ... the .22 uF is good with the Tele and Strat, but values closer to the stock spec sound good with single coils. I was able to use this "MOS-LLAMA" at various gain settings with my LP when output cap was switched to .22 uF (guitar has somewhat lower output PAF clone pickups). Hotter buckers might require .15 uF or even a tad lower. My original Llama had a switch which had a .047 uF option but I soon decided that sounded just a bit too thin.