|HOME| |DIY FAQ| |GEO FAQ| |Debugging Page| |Links| |Schematics| |Wiki| |Layouts Gallery| |STORE|
|AMPAGE| |GEOFEX| |AMZ|

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 26, 2014, 07:09:04 AM
960824 Posts in 102717 Topics by 32395 Members
Latest Member: giordy72
Home Help Login Register
DIYstompboxes.com  |  Projects  |  Beginner Project  |  How to solder properly 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to solder properly  (Read 7244 times)
rm -rp ./Matt*

How to solder properly
« on: September 15, 2008, 12:15:10 AM »

After building a circuit with the solder globbing on the board and not sticking to anything but the soldering iron I had a search on the forum for some soldering techniques. I noticed user darron made a little animation explaining how to, I had a search around the interwebs and found this excellent video which shows how badly wrong I have been soldering all this time.

To other beginners, learn to solder properly asap!

http://www.tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/tt02.html

-- keh keh yeh.
Dai H.

Re: How to solder properly
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 04:09:36 PM »

might want to try checking out youtube. There are some video illustrations of manual soldering there also.
asfastasdark

Sander de Groot

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 08:59:52 PM »

Just something to make a note of: When applying solder to a component, you should try not touch the solder to the soldering iron. I did it in the  beginning, lots of other people do also, but you tend to get cold joints real quickly by doing this. Besides that, this is probably the best how to solder video I've seen.  Cheesy

mth5044

Matt

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 09:11:34 PM »

Just something to make a note of: When applying solder to a component, you should try not touch the solder to the soldering iron. I did it in the  beginning, lots of other people do also, but you tend to get cold joints real quickly by doing this. Besides that, this is probably the best how to solder video I've seen.  Cheesy

I still do that and after well over 15 builds I still haven't had a cold solder joint. Lucky? Probably. So dont do it  icon_mad
asfastasdark

Sander de Groot

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 06:46:38 PM »

... From what I've heard, you get cold joints quickly. Sorry, all I've ever done is soldered two switches into a guitar and made a killswitch... I don't solder much at all, it's just that I've heard that that causes cold joints... I've never had a cold joint myself, so there you go... but still.

Minion

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 09:22:28 AM »

I actually do it that way and I prefer it to waiting for the part to heat up before adding the solder...The trick to not getting cold solder joints when doing it this way is to leave the iron on the Part for a second or two longer untill you see the solder actually flow into the Part as opposed to the Solder just sitting arround the Part in a Ball....I notice the heat transfer from the Iron to the part is much more efficient when there is solder on the iron.....

Cheers

Go to bed with itchy Bum , wake up with stinky finger !!
asfastasdark

Sander de Groot

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 09:13:10 PM »

Yeah, you're supposed to tin the tip of the iron for better heat transfer. And by the way I'm no soldering expert, it's just that I read all this stuff  all the time  Wink.

Electric_Death

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 08:17:25 AM »

What do I do when the tip of my iron literally disintegrates while I'm trying to solder? Grin

potul

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 08:29:23 AM »

Hi All,

I bump this topic because I found another interesting video about soldering properly. I'ts a good view for the beginners, and you know, one video is better than 1000 words...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4&feature=player_embedded#

Regards,

Mateu
DNomis

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 10:43:30 PM »

A good solder joint should only take about 5 or 6 seconds to make with some practice.... Smiley

Say about 3 or 4 seconds to heat the solder pad/component lead,1 second or so to apply solder,about 2 seconds cool down..... Smiley

Make sure the tip of your soldering iron is clean and shiny,apply a little bit of solder to the tip to tin it,wipe the tip on the sponge or brass wool cleaner after tinning and occasionally... Smiley

Replace soldering iron tips that look dull and pitted..... Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: