TEN STEPS TO A REALISTIC GRANITE FINISH !

Started by Dragonfly, September 16, 2008, 04:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

I just finished writing up a tutorial on how to paint an amazingly accurate "faux granite" finish on your pedals. It's in my gallery here at DIYStompboxes, and I'll also be adding it to my website.

CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE "FAUX GRANITE" TUTORIAL !

asfastasdark

That looks awesome! I saw the picture in the Pictures! thread, and was wondering if it was real granite or not... but a questions, not so much about this project, but about the gallery. How do you make an album for yourself where it says your own name as an owner? I've been trying to do it, but I have the feeling I've been messing things up with trying to login with diyuser and j201... Could you explain to me how?

Dragonfly

Quote from: asfastasdark on September 16, 2008, 05:16:32 PM
That looks awesome! I saw the picture in the Pictures! thread, and was wondering if it was real granite or not... but a questions, not so much about this project, but about the gallery. How do you make an album for yourself where it says your own name as an owner? I've been trying to do it, but I have the feeling I've been messing things up with trying to login with diyuser and j201... Could you explain to me how?

You have to email Aron and he can start a gallery for you.

Dragonfly

80 views....1 message...and it's not even about the tutorial....i guess i was just wasting time again.    :'(

;)

drk

well, that doesnt look really that easy like you said!! (or caveman are better than me  :-\)

one doubt, in step one it looks like the paint is in cans, but then how do you put the pain into the paper??

Dragonfly

Quote from: drk on September 16, 2008, 07:09:51 PM
well, that doesnt look really that easy like you said!! (or caveman are better than me  :-\)

one doubt, in step one it looks like the paint is in cans, but then how do you put the pain into the paper??

You dip the wadded paper towel into the paint....then use the paper towel to "blot" it onto the pedal, like the tutorial says.

You're trying to make things too tough by "overthinking" them...it's really incredibly simple.

John Lyons

Thanks for the write-up Andy!
Looks simple enough for even me to accomplish (sub caveman) :icon_wink:
Gave me an idea for a pedal I need to take to another level. (a ho nutha leve)

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

kurtlives

Seems like the key is not using too much paint on the towel. Seems it should stick to the towel but not flow or run.

I like the idea but cant think of any effects that I would want to look likw marble.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Dragonfly

Quote from: kurtlives on September 16, 2008, 07:21:36 PM
Seems like the key is not using too much paint on the towel. Seems it should stick to the towel but not flow or run.

I like the idea but cant think of any effects that I would want to look likw marble.

Even if you have a bit too much paint on the towel you can use the clean paper towel to blot it off. :)

Dragonfly

Quote from: John Lyons on September 16, 2008, 07:20:06 PM

Thanks for the write-up Andy!
Looks simple enough for even me to accomplish (sub caveman) :icon_wink:
Gave me an idea for a pedal I need to take to another level. (a ho nutha leve)

john

:)

Obviously you can use any colors you want to get totally different effects as well.

Also, just clear coating after step one can look really cool, like crinkled linen....

Marcos - Munky

Cool Andy!!! It doesn't look too hard to do.

SUPER VELCROBOY

excellent write-up. You have great technique.

asfastasdark

Sorry for the false hope message... It's just that I had managed to screw up the diyuser account and I wanted to fix it quickly...

But seriously, this looks really realistic! I might do something like this for some modulation pedal... (in the far future though... I'm building my first pedal, a BYOC Mouse, in a couple of days... just gotta order parts from Mouser now  ;))

Dragonfly

BTW - If you stop after the first color coat and just clear coat it then, the technique lends itself to a whole bunch of other possibilities....

kurtlives

That last pic kinda looks like autumn leaves on the ground.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Dragonfly

Quote from: kurtlives on September 16, 2008, 10:29:26 PM
That last pic kinda looks like autumn leaves on the ground.

Yep - you can get all types of effects by varying the base coat color and blotted color, how heavy it is blotted, etc....lots of experimenting to do.  ;)

davent

For variations on this technique you can try other paint 'applicators', plastic bags, natural sponges, fabrics etc.  Each will give it's own unique paint print to the project.
Looks like fun!
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

evilpaul

Look out Steampunk, here somes Stonepunk!  :icon_twisted:

~arph

Ok.. last night I dreamed that I was reading this tutorial (before I actually saw it just now).. the technique involved putting some fruit on the enclosure and burning the lot... ::)  Now.. I will read and see if I dreamt right... hahaha

Auke Haarsma