Reverb: DIY or buy?

Started by Steben, September 17, 2008, 06:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Definitely and interesting option find Steben !
  Digital DIY performance for people like me who know very little about implimenting digital DIY !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gutsofgold

I love my Holy Grail verb, I don't play anything requiring crazy cavernous reverb or reverse swells so the Grail fits in perfect on my pedal board. I just hate the volume drop it has when turned on!!! I can't find a schematic for it either so I just usually try to remember to leave some volume available on my guitar.

Marcvv

Quote from: Steben on September 18, 2008, 05:46:14 AM
WOW! look at this!

Chorus, flanger, reverb, ...
all in one assembled module...
Nice to put in in a nice custom stompbox!

http://www.profusionplc.com/products/RA-FX1V.html

I told you......
;)

Best Marc

jacobyjd

Guts, you may want to try running your HG in parallel w/ your dry signal using a splitter and mixer...or in a parallel effects loop. It should take care of any volume drop as well as let you control large amounts of reverb while still preserving your attack :)

I also know there's a mod sitting around somewhere to add a dry signal blend to the box itself, so that's a possible option.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

wampcat1

francisco's reverb from tonepad sounds GREAT - give it a try!
bw

Uma Floresta

Quote from: doug deeper on September 17, 2008, 09:48:53 PM
i built a clone of the fender reverb for about $150.
and i looooove it.

$150? Even sourcing the parts individually, it seems like it would cost much more.

mth5044

Quote from: Uma Floresta on September 18, 2008, 12:20:33 PM
and i looooove it.

$150? Even sourcing the parts individually, it seems like it would cost much more.

I would agree. Unless he is talking about the little pedal. The standalone tube reverb kits that weber sells are 300~400$. Tell us your secret.

petemoore

Tell us your secret.
  6g15 schematic -1 triode Vs. Epiphone Valve Jr. schematic +1triode
  EL84 where 6v6 was, then add the 'equivalent of one triode tube to the EPVJ.
  After some schematic stares, all was there, -1 impedance match from EL84 to driver transducer which was a 'simple' OT swap.
  I started by scrapping out most of an already 4 socket amp, it had the transformers were hooked to the sockets, I left the heater connections intact :icon_biggrin:.

mth5044

Quote from: petemoore on September 18, 2008, 12:56:13 PM
Tell us your secret.
  6g15 schematic -1 triode Vs. Epiphone Valve Jr. schematic +1triode
  EL84 where 6v6 was, then add the 'equivalent of one triode tube to the EPVJ.
  After some schematic stares, all was there, -1 impedance match from EL84 to driver transducer which was a 'simple' OT swap.
  I started by scrapping out most of an already 4 socket amp, it had the transformers were hooked to the sockets, I left the heater connections intact :icon_biggrin:.

I don't know what you just said, but...neat.  :icon_mrgreen:

g.

i use the built-in spring reverb of my Phillips philicorda
this organ has a hudge sring reverb, lush sound  (but inputs and outputs are DINS - so wiring  it's a mess)
by far better than my space-echo re201

the sound is really big !!

mth5044

Quote from: g. on September 18, 2008, 02:57:35 PM
by far better than my space-echo re201

I'm glad I know you are talking about the reverb on the re201 and not the delay, or I may have shat my pants.

petemoore

In response to:   I don't know what you just said, but...neat. 
  I got lucky and dug an old Hi Fi thing out of the back room. Heh, came with 2 output transformers and a big power transformer ! And has 4X9 pin sockets, the heaters supply already wired !
  I started with an Epiphone VJr. schematic, but rectified the PT's secondary to DC using a tube.
  The 5w recto-tube amp lives !
  ..and has a spare socket [thanks Zenith or RCA or whoever], as yet unused.
  So I get all the data to figure out the EL84 does good at 5200 ohm reflected load, and the math actually matches within 10% [on this power transformer I checked] to hook up an 8ohm speaker to.
  I use that spare socket now wired up as mixing and recovery stages, much like as shown in the 6g15 schematic.
  On the 18w's old hi fi amp chassis [reverb is sweet on it, built in Rev. would be great], I don't have a spare socket, and considered using a Mosfet for the cathode follower/buffer, and...something else for one of those other stages in the 6g15 that...which needed something, actives to amplify signal.
  It seems like the transducer does seem work well to control the spring wiggle when it's impedance is a reflected load of a tube plate.

g.

QuoteI'm glad I know you are talking about the reverb on the re201 and not the delay, or I may have shat my pants.

yes, i love the sound of the delay on the space echo, the reberb is just.... not a great one, perhaps a spring change would mke it better...

g.

but i'm finishing a diy one with a spring reberb tank from an old organ.
with a diy pcb from generalguitargadgets

great sound but the enclosure is not finished yet...

mth5044

Nice. I've got the stage center reverb from GGG all populated, got the tank, just havent wired it up yet  :icon_mrgreen:

MetalGuy

Check out also the ACExx FX modules:

http://www.cliffusa.com/digital-effects-modules.asp

http://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/digital/

http://www.fk-industrie.de/en/produktkatalog/BG/EM/0.html

Download detailed datasheets from the last site - some interesting onboard options for 7 segment LED and LCD display are available and you can go without fancy encoders and stuff.

Manufacturer's site:

http://www.thk-japan.com/THK/D%20Products/Frame%20Left.htm

The prices are in the 35-45 Euro range.
Anyone tried any of these yet?

charbot

Quote from: petemoore on September 18, 2008, 09:04:20 PM
In response to:   I don't know what you just said, but...neat. 
  I got lucky and dug an old Hi Fi thing out of the back room. Heh, came with 2 output transformers and a big power transformer ! And has 4X9 pin sockets, the heaters supply already wired !

if you hacked up a working  stereo  tube amplifier to build a reverb, you have to figure it costs more than $120 to make. Dude, please tell me you did a little research into  what this thing was before you tore into it.

KazooMan

Quote from: mth5044 on September 18, 2008, 12:31:12 PM
Quote from: Uma Floresta on September 18, 2008, 12:20:33 PM
and i looooove it.

I would agree. Unless he is talking about the little pedal. The standalone tube reverb kits that weber sells are 300~400$. Tell us your secret.

Yep, way more than $150 unless you happen to have some parts laying around that you can salvage.  I own a 1963 vintage Fender Reverb and have always loved the sound so I decided to try building a clone.  I did a few minor mods such as emplying a full wave rectifier , a three spring reverb unit, and a three wire plug.  The result works great, but it just doesn't have quite the same tone as the original.  I guess I should dig into both and see if some of the parts in the original have changed their values over time.  I have tried switching the tanks and that is not the issue.

Here are a few pictures of the result:

flo

Btw, this reverb project looks interesting:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=243&Itemid=26
QuoteThis is a great sounding digital reverb project.  Based on the Belton Digital Reverb Brick.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: flo on December 26, 2009, 12:00:20 PM
Btw, this reverb project looks interesting:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=243&Itemid=26
QuoteThis is a great sounding digital reverb project.  Based on the Belton Digital Reverb Brick.

I built it. It's perfect for me as I generally only like a touch of reverb.