Switch to remove filter in RangeMaster?

Started by enigmur, September 21, 2008, 08:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enigmur

Hey all I'm building a Ge PNP rangemaster at the moment, the circuit I'm using is pretty simple but I cant find the layout online, so bare with me.

I want a way of switching the filter in and out so I can have it as more of a clean drive and then be able to make it a treble booster. It works fine as is, I'm wondering if I could switch in and out one of the capacitors it would allow me to get the effect I'm looking for?

It has 4 capacitors, 0.005uf on the input, then two 50uf elec caps and a .01uf cap in the circuit. I tried switching out the 0.01uf cap but that just seemed to do something funny to the transistor biasing or something.

Any ideas which cap may be doing the filtering?
Quote from: jlullo on May 02, 2007, 12:37:12 AM
i have to get my hands on some of your germs.  very soon.
Anywhere but here, that would seem odd...

Dragonfly

With regards to a RM, changing the input capacitor DOESN'T make it a "clean drive"...more of a "full range dirty booster".

If you want to clean it up you'll need to make bias adjustments as well, and even then it's not super clean.

Also, the .01uf on the output won't affect biasing.

enigmur

Cheers for the reply Dragon. I'm all for a dirty boost, sorry I guess I worded that wrong, I dont want a clean drive - just it to do it's amplification without the filter.
So if I were to put that input capacitor (0.005uf) on a switch, I could switch in and out the HPF?

As you can tell I'm pretty clueless lol, the effect I got by bypassing that capacitor was a huge drop in output and the distortion was really blatty and strange.
Quote from: jlullo on May 02, 2007, 12:37:12 AM
i have to get my hands on some of your germs.  very soon.
Anywhere but here, that would seem odd...

Dragonfly

Quote from: enigmur on September 21, 2008, 10:21:12 PM
Cheers for the reply Dragon. I'm all for a dirty boost, sorry I guess I worded that wrong, I dont want a clean drive - just it to do it's amplification without the filter.
So if I were to put that input capacitor (0.005uf) on a switch, I could switch in and out the HPF?

I like  .0047uf and a .022uf for the input cap sizes, if you are only looking to choose two.

As you can tell I'm pretty clueless lol, the effect I got by bypassing that capacitor was a huge drop in output and the distortion was really blatty and strange.

Most likely you were bleeding dc voltage by "bypassing" the output cap....and that was causing the problem