SR&D Stereo Echo

Started by larryprune, September 22, 2008, 11:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryprune

Has anyone tried duplicating the sound of the  stereo echo rock module?  Also, what in your opinion would be a great delay project being that I want a 70's echo sound.   I need something to help aid in that thick ethereal layered sound.  Must be warm, and not harsh.   I remember the SR&D from ages ago, and wish I would have taken the advantage of buying a used one when I had the chance.

ppatchmods

I just built slacker's echobase and it is very similar to a deluxe memory man. It is very warm and has modulation.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=60662.0

-John
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

Rodgre

When I think of the Scholz stereo delay, and that 70's delay sound, I am thinking of either a short "ADT" delay (75ms or thereabouts) with no repeat and either a secondary tap at a slightly different delay time for the opposite output, or else just an inverted output (like the old Stereo Memory Man, which sounds awesome in stereo, though it might cancel in mono).

Any delay circuit that can get a short delay time should do the trick. I recall the Scholz sounding diffused and sort of dark, which made it seem warm and gave it a nice "surrounded by sound" effect in headphones.

A good example of the sort of tone I'm talking about is the main/lead guitar tone in "Blue Collar Man" by Styx. Am I in the ballpark? I am assuming you're talking about that sort of tone, more than say, the Edge from U2 swirly tone.

Roger

larryprune

No, I am looking for something with the warmth and feel of an old trape echo.   I want soem longer delay maybe up to 500ms.  Think David Gilmour, and Alex Lifeson as examples.in particular the solo from "Time", and maybe "LaVilla Strangiato", or "Xanadu".

Rodgre

Ah, Five Knob Deluxe Memory man then.

I think the Echo Base might in that ballpark. I haven't built one, but it looks like a nice one.

Roger