New vero layout: Slow Gear

Started by cathexis, September 22, 2008, 02:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathexis

Hi,

There's a new veroboard layout in my gallery, the Slow Gear. I built it this weekend, anticipating trouble after reading build reports on this forum. It worked pretty much right away though. Yes, it's mostly pointless, but a little bit of fun anyway. Don't sell your E-bow! :)

There's a sound clip as well.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/cathexis/

LARS

ralley

Hey I like it - sounds like it would be good for Deep Purple's "Fools", think I'll try building this.  Nice vero layout by the way - nice to see the pinouts given explicitly.

Cheers, Rob.
Sender lawyers, guns and money
The sh*t has hit the fan.
   - Warren Zevon

gigimarga

Very nice!!!

This is the only stompbox that i built and it never works  :icon_frown:...so, please, can you post the voltages for the IC, transistors and the trimpot?

For me it's very curious that yours works with 2N5457 because i'd tested a lot of FETs (including 2 of 2SK30) and no result.

Thx a lot!

cathexis

Sure! Here we go:

Battery: 9.08V
This is the measurements with the pedal plugged in, but no signal going to it.

T1:
C: 9.08
B: 1.57
E: 1.04

T2: (I used a 2SK30A, since I had some, but the 2N5457 worked just as fine when I tried)
D: 5.87
G: 5.87
S: 5.33

T3:
C: 9.08
B: 2.97
E: 2.42

T4:
C: 8.53
B: 1.14
E: 0.58

T5:
C: 5.83
B: 0.58

T6:
C: 5.83
B: 0.58

LM741:
1: 0.0
2: 4.46
3: 4.36
4: 0.0
5: 0.0
6: 4.5
7: 8.71
8: 0.0

Trimpot:
1 (ground): 0.0
2: 0.94
3: 2.66

Hope that helps! Triple check your pinouts!!

LARS

gigimarga

Thx a lot man...you're great!!!

I am shocked how different are your voltages from mine (http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=66474.0)!

Tomorrow i will try to make it alive :)

Thx again!

sean k

Lars, on yer vero you have a 47uf written up as the cap parallel to the zener on the source of the 2N5457. Is that right and the only thing you've done to make it work with that fet as opposed to the 2SK30A?, or did you just forget the decimal point?
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

Gila_Crisis

cathexis

Thanks for your comments!

Sean: Both the schematic at Topopiccione and the one at buildyourownclone list a 47uF cap in that position, I haven't made any subtitutions or changes that I know of. My build worked equally well with both fets. Actually I built it with a 2SK30A, then noticed I had drawn the wrong pinout on my layout - I really didn't want to make the necessary corrections so I tried it with the 5457. That worked, so I posted it like that. Heh.

LARS

sean k

Oops, sorry Lars, I checked again at topopiccione and indeed there is a 47uf cap. I wonder if I'm slightly dislexic  :'(
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

rnfr

hey nice art!  how'd you get the vero strips on the paper?
really dig that cap sub box too!  great idea. did you make it?

Evad Nomenclature

Lars,

You are Mantastic!!! erm yep.
nice work

Evad Nomenclature III
Master of Dolphin Technologies
Evad Nomenclature III
Master of Dolphin Technologies

cathexis

Thank you!

rnfr: The vero strip paper is fairly essential since I do my best layout designs in a place far away from electric power... I create a large empty board in Bancika's DIY Layout Creator, then resize it and print it out on A3 size paper. I also hand draw large layouts, since they tend to make the abovementioned software really slow on my machine.
The cap sub box I made myself. I was given many kilos of caps by a friend that closed down his electronics shop so I had lots to choose from, it's really good to have when tweaking or breadboarding, along with a resistor decade or two. You can buy cap sub boxes, but they tend to be real expensive.

LARS

rnfr

i'd love to see some shots of the inside of the cap box sometime!

cathexis

rnfr

looks cool!  what kind of switches did you use?  and what are the resistors for?

cathexis

Rotary switches with 1 pole and 12 positions. I made a discharge button and hooked up a LED so I could discharge the cap through that (it blinks, at least with the larger caps). The resistor is there to protect the LED from too much voltage.

Scruffie

Hey,

I know this is an old topic, but I Just built from this layout and I ran into some issues... I could get some swell but it was distorted at best, I figured it could be because of the 0.47uF Capacitor Up from the 10k Trimmer because I could only get an 470nF multi layer ceramic, not Electrolytic, so I stuck an 4.7uF Electro in parallel on top and just jabbed it in as I played, suddenly I can play chords and get really long swells, could there be any implications of this? Or am I save and just have a really nice SG-1?

Cheers for another great layout though Cathexis! and any replies.
Scruffie.