BSIABII vs. Crunch Box

Started by Schappy, September 23, 2008, 07:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schappy

Ive already built a BSIABII and am looking at either building a Crunch Box or buying one.  How do these pedals differ? Which one is better?

aron

I've never seen the schematic for a crunch box. Anyway, you are the only person that can evaluate what sounds good to yourself.

Ripdivot

I have both pedals and they are both nice. If I had to choose only one I would probably go for the Crunch Box. The CB is very similar to some of the Marshall pedals if you look at the schematic. I own the Crunch Box V2 so when I traced it I used Matsumin's schematic and added the V2 mods in red. I think the Crunch Box is a little tighter sounding than the BSIABll...at least through my rig which is a Blackface Fender amp.

ubersam

It looks similar to a Guv'nor but with a different tone control section and a slightly different input section. I haven't tried the CB but I have built a few BSIABs. The trick I use to get the BSIAB to sound tighter is to set Q5 drain to around 7v instead of the recommended 4.5v

Xavier

I had both side by side in my pedalboard until 2 weeks ago.

They are indeed similar sounding pedals, nevertheless I went with the BSIAB finally, here's why:

The CB is dry-ish sounding and has a more pronounced mid-boost, slightly less bass. The BSIAB has more sustain and is smoother sounding, less grainy. Slightly deeper also, I find it works good both for rhythm and solo, whereas the CB is too dry for soloing, but that's my opinion.

I guess the CB will sound very good in "american" sounding amps (amps which are bass/treble heavy).

Gus

R2 1 meg with a LM833?  What is the input R?

jimbob

Im thinking about buying one until I realized there was a thread and layout around here. However, I really depends on how close it is to the "real deal."

Opinions?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

kurtlives

Quote from: jimbob on September 24, 2008, 07:08:18 PM
Im thinking about buying one until I realized there was a thread and layout around here. However, I really depends on how close it is to the "real deal."

Opinions?
That schem is from a reverse engineered CB...its legit. PM for a layout if you want one.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

m-theory

Both are great circuits.  Build the CB and run them side by side. 

Steben

Quote from: Gus on September 24, 2008, 06:11:30 PM

This gives extra 100x gain.
LM833 sure does a lot of clipping in this one.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

kurtlives

Quote from: Steben on September 25, 2008, 11:26:18 AM
Quote from: Gus on September 24, 2008, 06:11:30 PM

This gives extra 100x gain.
LM833 sure does a lot of clipping in this one.
Isnt it 1K?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com