vox practice amp?

Started by Br4d13y, September 24, 2008, 01:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Br4d13y

i was thinking of taking an ac30 vox amplug and guting it, replace the headphone in with a speaker, replace the little pots on it with real ones, and adding an input jack for the ultimate mini ac30. does this sound even attemptable? i just had an idea i wanna know what you guys think.
freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4

WaxDragon

It's an amusing idea.  Perhaps hack an lm386 (or two) onto it if it can't drive speakers alone.
*air guitar*

kierc

Do it!

I have one of those little AC30 Amplugs, and would definately do something like that if you had done it successfully!  :icon_mrgreen:

Br4d13y

ok. i will try it out, i got $25 free from guitar center for this weekend, i will go and  pick one up. ;D

earthtonesaudio

Awesome idea, haha!

Make sure the final product is still very very small.  :icon_cool:

Br4d13y

i plan to make it as small as possible, but the smallest speakers i can think to salvage are some computer speakers. maybe i can build the whole apparatus inside one of those. hmmmm. cant wait to get it this weekend :icon_mrgreen:

frokost

The Amplug runs on 2 AAA batteries, which I presume limits the headroom to 3V. That isn't a problem when it's plugged directly into a guitar, but it may be when using pedals in front.

IGR

Quote from: frokost on September 25, 2008, 05:54:23 AM
The Amplug runs on 2 AAA batteries, which I presume limits the headroom to 3V. That isn't a problem when it's plugged directly into a guitar, but it may be when using pedals in front.

Amplug has step up DC/DC converter, pedal in front I ´ve approved, no problem with headroom . I would've been uncertain about changing these tiny stereo pots, I guess with taps on SMD PSB :icon_rolleyes:.Good Luck!

Br4d13y

maybe i could put a little mosfet boost in front or something.

petemoore

Use the 25$'s soon as you can.
 I had a 25 buk GC card that was good for a few days, which was no good at all !
 Could become sort of a mess, I would have bought a cable or something readimade.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Br4d13y

Quote from: petemoore on September 25, 2008, 09:01:09 AM
 Use the 25$'s soon as you can.
 I had a 25 buk GC card that was good for a few days, which was no good at all !
 Could become sort of a mess, I would have bought a cable or something readimade.

ha ha. ready made. it is good september 26-28, so i could use it tommorrow i guess.

earthtonesaudio

If you're into salvaging junked computer stuff, remember most PC tower cases have a tiny little speaker mounted inside for making modem noises or the occasional error "beep." 

You could probably make a miniaturized version of a 4x12 cabinet, but with 4x2's.

kierc

Just wanted to ask.. if you have the amplug yet.. how on earth do you take it apart???

tried to take mine apart, the only screw I could find was the one on the back of the lump where the jack is  :-X

frank_p

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on September 25, 2008, 10:22:08 AM
You could probably make a miniaturized version of a 4x12 cabinet, but with 4x2's.

Did you tryed it Alex ? I have a bunch of them that I salvaged from old computers...
Closed Back 4*2.
Funny Idea...  LOL
Hmmm... And a wall of those mini cabs  :icon_eek: ...

Br4d13y

i got it, and i got to get my dads star bit for the back, ::) sounds great though, i found some awesome computer stereo speakers too. on a side note, has anyone seen the new 20 watt egnater head? awesome.