Their trash, my treasure

Started by 347sixtyseven, September 26, 2008, 03:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

347sixtyseven

Found these interesting enclosures at my local trash recyler.

Not sure what i will put in them yet, just couldn't leave without them  :icon_biggrin:

Silver one is stainless steel and is 6"x4"x2"

Got a couple of parts inside the too, nothing special but they will be useful:
BC337 x 3
BC327 x 1
7812ct reg
TIP3055
LM741cn
LM723cn x 2

Didn't think they wee quite ready for the pictures thread yet ;D

Total cost $4

Accepting recommendations for what to put in them  :icon_razz:

sean k

Built a restuarant for some turkish guys once and they called it AGA. Translates as King.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

Steben

You could definitely put a small amp in your "AGA".

Two channel Ruby, or a NANO head or Firefly.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Rodgre

That would make a great portable mic preamp case!

Roger

Mark Hammer

Old 8-bit soundcards like cast-off first-generation Soundblasters, are often an excellent source of useful parts to cannibalize.  Plenty of dual or quad op-amps, usually a pair of power-chips or a dual power chip, and if you are deft with de-soldering, plenty of useful miniature electrolytics (1-47uf range, generally 16v or higher).

Of course, if you prefer 8-bit sound......

I just wish I could find something of use in all those cast-off microwave ovens you see lying by the curb.

sean k

Those old cast off microwave ovens have two electric motors in them, both at line voltage. One is a really slow geared motor for the table the food sits on and the other is a longditudinal fan. Also theres a big, big voltage capacitor, in the nano range I think, just off the transformer and those magnatrons are pretty neat looking. Mostly sheetmetal with vents though so if you're into bending up stuff.
Monkey see, monkey do.

Meanderthal

Couldn't those magnatrons be useful in building DIY radar jamming for... educational... traffic... purposes?  :icon_twisted:
I am not responsible for your imagination.

sean k

Hey Frank, that tremolo unit is beautiful  :icon_biggrin:
The motors in microwaves would be either too slow or..., well, maybe the fan motor would do it but those tamiya hobby motors with gears would be just the ticket if you could speed them up and down slightly. That is so great!

A motor driving a wheel  that has an off centre hub that rocks a small metal container, earthed, that has an electrically conductive liquid in it that contacts a signal wire, insulated, that is sitting above the level of the liquid at rest but makes contact during drive.
I've always liked the movement of liquid as it ripples back and forth... nodes etc, so something like this would be very organic as a tremolo.
Monkey see, monkey do.

OnLyTNT

Quote from: sean k on September 26, 2008, 05:31:45 AM
Built a restuarant for some turkish guys once and they called it AGA. Translates as King.

Aga mostly means like master, lord, land owner :p.

And... It could be a good bench power supply case, really looks like it. You also have the ingredients .

H5N1

you could put several effects in there, and daisy chain all the boards together.  You could also use spst or spdt switches to combine them in various ways.
Nice find!

frank_p

Quote from: sean k on September 28, 2008, 04:40:38 AM
Hey Frank, that tremolo unit is beautiful  :icon_biggrin:
The motors in microwaves would be either too slow or..., well, maybe the fan motor would do it but those tamiya hobby motors with gears would be just the ticket if you could speed them up and down slightly. That is so great!

A motor driving a wheel  that has an off centre hub that rocks a small metal container, earthed, that has an electrically conductive liquid in it that contacts a signal wire, insulated, that is sitting above the level of the liquid at rest but makes contact during drive.
I've always liked the movement of liquid as it ripples back and forth... nodes etc, so something like this would be very organic as a tremolo.

Are you talkink about the planetary gear transmission that the radio controlled truck called the "bruiser" (if I remember well) used at the shaft of a Mabushi RS-550 Motor ?  You remember me the days when I was hooked on Radio controlled vehicles...
That is a good Idea !!!

I am collecting old mechanical junk also.
I wish I had a "worksop" like yours, here (Canada,  ...and South Canada... LOL ) with winter and the price of energy, it's a bit more difficult.  :D

There is a topic about the DeArmond unit here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=46517.0

One thing that I still ask myself about that thing is: was there a mixing or amplifying stage in that unit ? ...
I do not think so...  But you must still lose power through the electolyte... Well, maybe I will get it someday...
See Ya Seen !

347sixtyseven

Was thinking power supply with the orange one, or something with tubes in it.

Would like to maybe squeeze a few circuits into the stainless one. Just going to flip the lid over to hide the writing but will be pre-drilled :)