Anyone interested in yet another Tube Tremolo ?

Started by frequencycentral, September 28, 2008, 01:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deaconque

mth5044

danielzink

did this idea get dropped ?

Where're we at with the votes needed ?

Count me in - if we're close I'll create another screen name for more votes       ;D

Dan

frequencycentral

It's still a goer - I just need to get a few LT1054 to experiment with, as the LFO I have in mind requires a bipolar supply to make it work with the 5672. It should give upward saw/triangle/downward saw (continuously variable) as well as 10% to 90% pulse. Worth the wait?
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

danielzink

Zben3129

A little off topic, but do you know of another LFO besides the one provided that will work in the vibracaster? I finally got it oscillating after tweaking, but now I am having trouble getting it to run as I would like it to, and wondered if there was an LFO that uses 5088's or lower, as they are the highest gain part I have.

Also, I vote yes 5 times  ;D

Tubes - good
Tremolo - good
Tube + Tremolo...Good times 2  :icon_biggrin:

After all, if we can have 92874 distortion/OD, why not deepen the trem pool.

Zach

danielzink

I've got my 5672's on the way........need a new project.....need to etch............

frequencycentral

Ok, after a few experiments with this multi waveform LFO I have to report that I am a little disappionted! I was hoping to do a real funky little tremolo with loads of waveform options. However, what I'm finding is that anything with a sharp edge (sawtooth/square/pulse) is just creating a sharp thunk! Using an electrolytic cap from the 5672's 'control' input (pin 2) to ground does get rid of the thunk - but also slews the waveform into something close to a triangle/sine. This is the same issue I had when experimenting with tremolos base on 12au7 and 6111 triodes. So - a 5672 tremolo is still viable, but the waveform options are limited to triangle/sine (which in practice both sound very similar). After this, what's left is a 5672 tremolo which would use a similar phase shift oscillator to the Vibracaster. Back to the breadboard!

I should also point out for anyone interested that the LFO I linked to above has issues. The BF245A FETs don't work - I eventually used BS170 MOSFETs to get the shape control to work without affecting the speed.

nordine

Quote from: frequencycentral on December 28, 2008, 09:58:38 AM
Ok, after a few experiments with this multi waveform LFO I have to report that I am a little disappionted! I was hoping to do a real funky little tremolo with loads of waveform options. However, what I'm finding is that anything with a sharp edge (sawtooth/square/pulse) is just creating a sharp thunk! Using an electrolytic cap from the 5672's 'control' input (pin 2) to ground does get rid of the thunk - but also slews the waveform into something close to a triangle/sine. This is the same issue I had when experimenting with tremolos base on 12au7 and 6111 triodes. So - a 5672 tremolo is still viable, but the waveform options are limited to triangle/sine (which in practice both sound very similar). After this, what's left is a 5672 tremolo which would use a similar phase shift oscillator to the Vibracaster. Back to the breadboard!

I should also point out for anyone interested that the LFO I linked to above has issues. The BF245A FETs don't work - I eventually used BS170 MOSFETs to get the shape control to work without affecting the speed.

what about optical?

frequencycentral

Hmmmm - really I wanted to modulate the 5672 directly into grid 2 (pin 2). Using a 12 volt supply, ground to grid 2 = 5672 closed, 6 volts to grid 2 = 5672 open. So I was aiming for a LFO which went from 0v to 6v, hooked into grid 2. I've got no optocouplers, but I do have LDRs, LEDs and a few NEC2501 transistor type photocouplers. I guess I'll try them.

fikri

Hell yeah ! I'm in !  ;). Boy, it is so glad to be back here  ;D