true bypass AND batery bypass with a dpdt switch

Started by the_stig, September 29, 2008, 06:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_stig

Hello,

I am trying to figure out a way how to get both true bypass and battery bypass using a dpdt switch. With a 3pdt this would be very easy, unfortunately in this part of the globle they're unobtainium (for reasonable money).

I've done a bit of research and couldn't find a complete solution. Could someone give me a hint what to type into google for a starting point?

Philip

Roobin

What do you mean by 'battery bypass'? Do you mean taking the battery out of the circuit, so it's only connected when the effect is engaged? Unfortunately, whenever you disconnect/connect the battery in a circuit, you can hear a 'pop' - unless you had a very large capacitor storing what would effectively be 9v, so that when the battery is reconnected there is a much smaller voltage difference, and the pop may be less audible. I've never done this, so I'm just theorising, but it may be worth a try.

As for the switching itself, you would need (assuming you go for normal and battery bypass) some sort of JFet switching system, similar to what Boss uses (except theirs relies on a momentary switch to do the flip-flopping) (EXCEPT I just realised you want true bypass, and a JFet system some may view as not being a proper true bypass, so you could try mini relays, which would provide a true bypass.  However, then the problem arises that their current draw whilst switching may be a little large, thus defeating the point of a battery bypass); and for the battery bypass, you could use the switch itself to switch the battery in/out. You could also use that half of the switch too make a slow turn on switch for the battery, so that the voltage rise is gradual, and not very quick and large. Couple this with a large storage capacitor, and you have a possible solution. However, you then might also want a LED indicator, which complicates things a little more...

Ultimately, are you trying to disconnect the battery to save the battery life? Unless your circuit draw a crazy current draw, most ods/fuzzes/wahs draw in the region of 10ma or less. If you really want to reduce current draw/extend battery life, don't put a led indicator on. The above solution might work, but it is starting to look pretty complicated, with a fairly high parts count.

Being in Europe, could you not order from Banzai Effects? Their prices don't seem too high.