stereo echobase delay

Started by cpm, October 02, 2008, 07:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radamus

Okay, so it seems that a lot of the switching falls into the realm of things I don't easily understand. For my sanity, I think I'll try to swap out some of the FET switching with switching jacks. I see that you updated the image with a list of what everything does, which is very helpful.

I'm confused about control D. On the schematic, Control D connects the input to the two outputs to have the clean sound. There is also another buffered output of the clean sound. What is this used for?

How is the extra delay vs. ping pong changed? Which switch is it?

I have to admit I have no idea what the high pass delays and more feed back means. I don't really understand the feedback anyway.

The switching, for me, will then amount to something like this: DPDT for bypass control in 4066 and the LED, Switching jack to determine whether there is one output or two, SPDT for LFO, SPDT for ping pong/long, SPDT for delay tails (attached to DPDT and then to 4066), and an SPDT for the highpass(?) thing. I would either forget about the control D switch entirely, or replace it with a pot. What is OUT_CL anyway? Will these mods still work? Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks again. I know I've got a lot of questions, but I'm not to the point where I can just immediately understand everything.

cpm

Quote from: Radamus on December 26, 2008, 05:28:10 AM
Okay, so it seems that a lot of the switching falls into the realm of things I don't easily understand. For my sanity, I think I'll try to swap out some of the FET switching with switching jacks. I see that you updated the image with a list of what everything does, which is very helpful.

the switching is done that way to be actioned without switches, using the output jacks whether there is a jack or none pluged in.

QuoteI'm confused about control D. On the schematic, Control D connects the input to the two outputs to have the clean sound. There is also another buffered output of the clean sound. What is this used for?

for my needs, i want the possibility of having the clean signal separated from the delayed sound. As in the echobase, clean input is always mixed at the output, so the switch at D should be a default "on". What i do is break that switch when a jack is inserted on the third output (buffered clean)

How is the extra delay vs. ping pong changed? Which switch is it?

the ping pong is obtained by taking both outputs A and B
A long delay is obtained by only using out B
Shorter (and cleaner) delay is obtained by mixing A and B outputs, so thats the reason for the switch that connects B into A's summing opamp. This switch in ON when there is no jack inserted at B output (i would only plug in out A, using only one output since theres no need for stereo here)

I have to admit I have no idea what the high pass delays and more feed back means. I don't really understand the feedback anyway.

Feedback is the delayed sound which is inserted again to the input of the delay. In this case the ouput at PT2 is inserted into PT1's input. Witchout feedback you would only get one repeat (the clean note and the repeat after the delay). Feedback produces multiple repeats, by regulating its volume you make each "trip" to sound quieter until it fades out, thats what the "feedback" pot does. If the 2feedbacked" signal is higher than the ouput, there will be a volume increase with each repeat, leading to a loud noise and sonic chaos, as repeats never fade out.

The pair of caps (plus a switchable cap) you refer have to do with the filtering applied to each repeat as it passes through the delay chip. From some experimentation i found that having different values changes the way that filter behaves. For a 1:1 ratio (100n+100n as echobase, rebote, etc) the filtering is somewhat flat, softening each repeat into a darker sound. Switching the third cap (in parallel) there is a 1:2 ratio (100n+200n) which changes the filter to allow more highs to be kept for each repeat.
You can think of it as a "dark / bright" switch. For me the "bright" setting works best for near "infinite repeats" for it doesnt get all muffled on the low end.

The switching, for me, will then amount to something like this: DPDT for bypass control in 4066 and the LED, Switching jack to determine whether there is one output or two, SPDT for LFO, SPDT for ping pong/long, SPDT for delay tails (attached to DPDT and then to 4066), and an SPDT for the highpass(?) thing. I would either forget about the control D switch entirely, or replace it with a pot. What is OUT_CL anyway? Will these mods still work? Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks again. I know I've got a lot of questions, but I'm not to the point where I can just immediately understand everything.

OUT_CL, as explained, is a buffered output that always follows the clean input. It may be removed if not needed.
For the switching, all you need is to let or not to let the sounds pass through some places. As long as this is accomplished you can use whatever you feel like, raw switches, 4066 controlled by switches or jacks, momentray switches plus latches... whatever that does the trick
The main reason for 4066 here is the need to turn some sitches simultaneously with one single stomp on the switch.

good luck

Radamus

Okay. Very cool. Thank you for all of that help.

I have one last question (I think). If having a single input makes it extra long delay, how can you be using two amps (for ping pong) and then switch it to extra long delay out of both outputs? I would like that to be an option (and possibly another footswitch) so where would I put that? What needs to be changed for that to work?

Thanks again for all the help.

Conrad

Radamus

Another thought occurs to me. I like the idea of being able to have a rhythmic repeat, almost like a loop, with the infinite repeats. How can I make it so that the delay "resets?" What I mean is, how can I stop the repeats without necessarily disengaging the effect? I understand that this is by no means a looper, mainly due to the limitations of the pt2399 chip, not any of the wonderful work that has been put into the project, but I'd like to know how I can use it in that regard in a limited fashion. For example, I play a single note on my bass with a quick, infinite repeat. It will get distorted, but I kind of like that idea. It will play consistently. I will disengage the effect, but the delay tails will allow the chip to continue. If I want to stop it, I know one way is to interrupt the feedback for the length of the delay, which can be up to nearly two seconds with this version. Is there another way to quickly reset the chips? I would need this to be in a footswitch, but I'm not sure I can get a momentary one to hold the effect loop off. The ones that are out right now seem to all be expensive, big name effect switches. Is there an easier way? I wouldn't necessarily mind using another DPDT to switch it.

I hope I'm not taking the project too far beyond its original intent, but this doesn't seem to be an enormous departure or even that difficult. Thanks for all the help, again.

cpm

you can silence the delay by putting its audio input to ground.
for what you want, you may use two parallel delay lines. One is the main delay effect, another one would be setup with strong feedback and switched in only when you want those infinite repeats, and mute it when switched off. This way both delays go into the mixing opamp the same way the echobase does.

Radamus

How much current does this draw? I want to make sure I buy the right parts for a power supply I'll be building too.
Thanks.

Radamus

Does anyone have a layout or a picture of their build I can check out?

Radamus

Hello,

I am working on drawing up a layout for this project. While I was thinking about it, I came up with a couple things I'd like to change, and I was wondering if any of you could help me make this work.

The functionality of the project is still the same, but I want to change the output switching slightly.

As it is, putting one jack in A give you Rhythmic delays in one speaker. One jack in B gives you extra delay. Two jacks gives you ping pong. I would like to have the option of switching back and forth between rhythmic/ping pong and long delay.

The way I'm thinking about it is like this: DPDT footswitch. Middle pegs connect to delay out A and delay out B. The top peg of the B side connects to both stereo outputs (need suggestion here for splitting signal). The bottom of the switch connects to a DPDT switching jack where, if no plug is there, then A and B connect together and then to the single output (Rhythmic delay). If a plug is present, then each delay goes to its respective output (ping pong). This would give me a DPDT footswitch which changes ping pong to longer delay without changing the input jack. Then, the switching jack determines ping pong vs. rhythmic.

So, then, I need help with whether I can get away with putting resistors in series with each delay line to split or combine them, or whether I need to get into some more serious buffering. I have on extra op amp due to not using the clean output section. I am only using one 4066 as I replaced the mixdown (control C) with a footswitch (and I will probably place it later on) and control D with an SPST.

Let me hear your ideas.

Thanks in advance