Voltage multiplication?

Started by Taylor, October 03, 2008, 12:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

I'm designing a delay effect with 2 delay chips. I want one to be able to control both of their delay times with one knob, and for one to have twice the delay time as the other. How can I do this?

German

Auke Haarsma

depends on what IC's you will be using.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

It depends on what kind of clock circuit you have for the delay chip.
But, it is pretty straightfoward to halve the frequency of a clock chip.

So, you would have only one clock, driving the first delay, and the clock would also be halved in frequency before sending it to the second one.

Edited to add, I can't see what "voltage multiplication" could have to do with this.

Andre

In case you're using PT2399 delay chips you could use a dual gang 50k pot and solder a 47k or 51k resistor between the outer lugs of one of the pots.
The chip connected to the pot without the extra resistor will give the longest delay.

André

Taylor

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on October 03, 2008, 04:24:45 AM

Edited to add, I can't see what "voltage multiplication" could have to do with this.

:icon_redface: You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge on the topic here. I am really just a musician, not an EE or even a talented DIYer. I work in a modular DSP environment on my computer to design things (Plogue Bidule) and in that, I have a variable to control delay time, then for each successive delay, I multiply the control signal by 2. So I guess I imagined the real-life equivalent of this control signal as being voltage, and that I would be multiplying this voltage for each delay. I guess I sound pretty stupid to you guys.  :icon_sad: Oh well.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Fear not Taylor, you know a lot more about analog than I do about digital.
We're all here to learn  :icon_biggrin:

And in any case, if you have a voltage controlled oscillator that has a linear voltage to freq response, then it is indeed true that doubling the voltage input will double the frequency!
The project looks doable to me.

And, if you are into programming PICs - I'm sure it would be reasonably simple to generate a digital clock outputs that is proportional to an input analog voltage, and another output that is half that frequency.