Confused about a 3PDT connection

Started by mantralux, October 04, 2008, 01:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mantralux

I want to build a pedal which has two inputs. It also has one send/return loop. It also has LEDs to indicate what input is used.

How do I connect this to the switch?

The way I'd do it right now is:

Input A Tip: position 1
Input B Tip: position 7
Send Output: position 4
Return Input: position 6
LED 1: position 2
LED 2: position 8
Jumpers between position 1 & 3, as well as between position 7 & 9
Main Output: position 6

Will this work?

Boogdish

what are you trying to do with the switch?  Just switch between which input is going to the send/return, or are you trying to bypass the send/return while changing inputs or what?

mantralux

Quote from: Boogdish on October 04, 2008, 02:37:16 PM
what are you trying to do with the switch?  Just switch between which input is going to the send/return, or are you trying to bypass the send/return while changing inputs or what?
The send/return should be available for both inputs. So yeah, it's a switch between which input goes to the send/return loop, and then goes on further in the circuitry after the send/return loop. It's a pre-send/return before the actual effect.

flo

The 3PDT are 3 switches each with one "pole": A, B, C.
I do not know what the "positions" are that you refer to but I'll refer to switch A, B, C each having 3 lugs: 1, 2, 3.
Lug 2 of a switch is the "pole" that will be switched between the outside lugs: 1, 3.

Connect each of the two inputs to one of the outside lugs of one of those switches: IN1 to A1, IN2 to A3.
Connect lug A2 (the "pole" that is switched) to the SEND.

Connect each of the two LED indicators to the outside lugs of the second switch: B1, B3. Connect the other side of the LEDs to +V.
Connect the middle lug (the "pole") to a current limiting resistor and connect the other side of that resistor to GND.

RETURN is always connected to the rest of that circuit as you already described so it does not have to be switched.

mantralux

Quote from: flo on October 06, 2008, 12:55:37 PM
The 3PDT are 3 switches each with one "pole": A, B, C.
I do not know what the "positions" are that you refer to but I'll refer to switch A, B, C each having 3 lugs: 1, 2, 3.
Lug 2 of a switch is the "pole" that will be switched between the outside lugs: 1, 3.

Connect each of the two inputs to one of the outside lugs of one of those switches: IN1 to A1, IN2 to A3.
Connect lug A2 (the "pole" that is switched) to the SEND.

Connect each of the two LED indicators to the outside lugs of the second switch: B1, B3. Connect the other side of the LEDs to +V.
Connect the middle lug (the "pole") to a current limiting resistor and connect the other side of that resistor to GND.

RETURN is always connected to the rest of that circuit as you already described so it does not have to be switched.

Ah good, that's how I meant in my somewhat confusing description. Two follow up questions though:

1. By current limiting resistor, you mean a regular 2K-5K resistor right?

2a. Will it work having jumper cables between A1-C1, and A3-C3 and connect both return and output to C2?

2b. If yes...this kind of connection described will allow me to put pedals in my send/return loop without these pedals being affected by the circuitry that is connected to the output at C2?

:icon_cool:

flo

Quote from: mantralux on October 07, 2008, 03:12:42 PM
1. By current limiting resistor, you mean a regular 2K-5K resistor right?
right :) a resistor in series with the LED.

Quote from: mantralux on October 07, 2008, 03:12:42 PM
2a. Will it work having jumper cables between A1-C1, and A3-C3 and connect both return and output to C2?
2b. If yes...this kind of connection described will allow me to put pedals in my send/return loop without these pedals being affected by the circuitry that is connected to the output at C2?
I though that the RETURN had to go to the internal circuit? So why connect it with OUTPUT on C2 (C2="pole" of the third switch in the 3PDT)?
I though that the OUTPUT should be connected to the output of the internal circuit?
hmm... what do you want to accomplish with that third switch "C"?

Perhaps you can make a drawing of it all to explain you intentions a bit?

mantralux

Quote from: flo on October 07, 2008, 07:34:36 PM
I though that the RETURN had to go to the internal circuit? So why connect it with OUTPUT on C2 (C2="pole" of the third switch in the 3PDT)?
I though that the OUTPUT should be connected to the output of the internal circuit?
hmm... what do you want to accomplish with that third switch "C"?

Perhaps you can make a drawing of it all to explain you intentions a bit?
Well, the OUTPUT goes to another 3PDT for another purpose.

So the first 3PDT is for switching between two different inputs, as well as providing a pre-circuit send/return. After that comes the circuit, and after the circuit comes another 3PDT for another purpose. So by OUTPUT in my example, I mean the output from the 3PDT to the effect. How would you connect this to the 3PDT if you were building the same kind of thing?

Boogdish

if you're only using this switch to select between the two inputs, you don't need a 3PDT, you can use a DPDT.  Tips of each of the inputs to the outside lugs of one side of the switch, then send the inside lug to the send jack of your send/return.  Use the other side of the switch for the LEDs.  Take the shorter legs of each LED and connect these to the outside lugs, and send the inside lug to ground.  Take the longer legs of the LEDs and connect them to a limiting resistor (I use a 10K to save battery life) and then to your +9V supply.

mantralux

Quote from: Boogdish on October 11, 2008, 02:58:23 PM
if you're only using this switch to select between the two inputs, you don't need a 3PDT, you can use a DPDT.  Tips of each of the inputs to the outside lugs of one side of the switch, then send the inside lug to the send jack of your send/return.  Use the other side of the switch for the LEDs.  Take the shorter legs of each LED and connect these to the outside lugs, and send the inside lug to ground.  Take the longer legs of the LEDs and connect them to a limiting resistor (I use a 10K to save battery life) and then to your +9V supply.
I understand, but the question is where to connect the return?

flo

Please try to explain your idea with a drawing. It will tell us more than a thousand words...  ;)

> but the question is where to connect the return?
I think: the RETURN had to go to the internal circuit.  ;D

Boogdish

Yes, put the RETURN jack's tip to the input of your circuit.  Since the return tip is always headed towards the circuit there's no reason to connect it to the switch.

mantralux

Quote from: Boogdish on October 13, 2008, 05:39:20 PM
Yes, put the RETURN jack's tip to the input of your circuit.  Since the return tip is always headed towards the circuit there's no reason to connect it to the switch.
Alright, but there is no problem connecting both the return from the loop and the "output" of the 3PDT switch to the start of the circuit? Meaning, there is no problem connecting them to the same point?

flo

Well, draw us a picture perhaps that will help.