Digitech Whammy 4 (IV) help and/or mods

Started by soothsayer, October 04, 2008, 07:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soothsayer

Hi,

Can anyone help me sort my Whammy pedal out, it sounds shocking!!!!

I bought it about 8-9 years ago, it was the only one, in the only musical instrument shop that sold effects in Leicester, UK. But recently I've been searching the web to sort my pedal out and found loads of posts from people saying they tested loads of them before buying the best one.

There is two things wrong/bugging me about it:
1. When you switch it on there's a volume drop. Plus, there's a click that goes through my signal path when it's switched on or off - none of my other pedals with metal switches does this.

2. I've got no problem with hitting a note and gliding it up/down an octave (or two) but any notes I play with the effect engaged sound shitty, the tracking is completely blown. Please see the two links as reference to what I'm trying to achieve. I know Gilmour uses a WH-1, so does everyone else come to think of it - any famous guitarists use a WH-4, I think not?!?

David Gilmour
'Marooned' http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3W6hBI1SAL4
'The Blue' http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QIZFQ2XJxyo solo at 3:09 onwards.

Is there any mods that can be done to correct it and turn it into the wonderful pedal people rave about?

Do I need a true bypass loop with buffers etc. to sort it out, or something else, or do I just put the pile of shite in the bin and dream about owning an original like the pros?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. I originally posted the questone here http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=67758.msg540577#msg540577

Soothsayer

My gear: Marshall DSL 2000 50 head/cab, Fender Strat, Boss/Dunlop/Ibanez/Electro-Harmonix/TC Electronic effects

seibertdr

I just got rid of mine.  :'( I had the same problem. I bought it used off of eBay so I figured the person before me trashed it. I did discover that the input jack was loose. So I opened it open and tightened the springs on the jack. That took care of the intermitten connection. I fired up the pedal and it sounded great and did all it's functions, all at a barely audible sound level. When I would rock the pedal, the pot got all scratch and the volume would come in and out. I contacted Digitech and you can send the pedal back and for $45 USD, they will bring it back to factory specs. This might be the way to go. I just didn't have time to mess with it so I gave it up. After seeing the Gilmour clip, it makes me want another one. Do I have the time and energy to find a good one, probably not. I wouldn't use it that much. I play in a church band and there are usually zilch for songs that would require a Whammy.  :icon_biggrin: Good luck on your quest. I think it is like someone mentioned before, it is one of those devices that you have to try a bunch to find the good one. Don
Mesa RK II
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez AR-300
Schecter Hellraiser
Gretsch G5120
Guitar>Bad Horsie wah>FullDrive 2>Boss OD-2>EHX POG2>Ernie Ball Volume>Amp
M9 in loop

loki

I think one of the few pro guitar players (if not the only one) who uses the Wh-4 is Matt Bellamy from Muse... but does so because of its midi capabilities (not present in the original Wh-1).

I never even bothered trying the Wh-4, mostly because of the small delay you get when the pedal is engaged, which is absent only in the Wh-1 (all the other Whammys (II and XP100) have the same problem). Plus the Wh-4 circuit is just an emulation of the Wh-1, doesnt come close at all.

My advice? get the Wh-1. I know its expensive but if you're lucky you can get it for cheap... i got mine at yahoo auction japan for like 280 euros... a real bargain... and if you consider that in 10 years it'll be worth 10 times that well... its an investiment for the future...
cheers