more options for labeling your enclosures - STAMPS! 52k warning...

Started by caress, October 05, 2008, 01:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caress

i'm sure this has been done in the past, but STAMPS are amazing.  especially if you plan on doing multiple pedals of the same type...

so i went to this website:  http://www.simonstamp.com/  and went to the custom stamp section.  it's pretty simple, but may take a little time uploading your image and getting it to line up correctly.  luckily, the site has an option where you click a button and a proof .pdf file gets emailed to you instantly.  you don't even have to leave the screen you're working at... it took me a few tries to get the sizing right for the pedal size stamp - i had to use the image at 88% i think... but once it was done, my template is saved to my account so i don't have to go through the process again.

the stamps are priced VERY affordably, IMO, and were in my hands only 3 days or so after i placed my order!

here's what my 2 stamps look like, with a view of the bottom side as well so you can see the detail you can get:

i stamped a few blemished powdercoated boxes using 2 different types of ink - a blue from ANCIENT PAGE inks and a black from STAZON inks.  note: i did not sand the boxes or anything, just stamped directly onto the powdercoated surface... i think i could get better results on a bare sanded box, personally.  it took over a day of sitting in a normal room for them to dry... i think either a fan or some heat applied would drastically speed up the process and i'll try this out in the next few days.

here's some images - the first 2 have the image stamped in blue, then in black... looks more interesting in person.  third one's a little off...

to stamp, i inked up the stamp and placed it on my desk, then pressed the enclosure onto the stamp.  it's a little easier to see the edges of the stamp this way, although a jig would make life much simpler...  the ink is surprisingly resistant to scratches, even without a clear coat -- i can barely scratch it with a screwdriver...  when i get a little better, i'll post some more pics. 
also, this is a good way to get some simple words/images/whatever onto stamps and use a modularized stamping process for anyone only interested in making single pedals.  for example:  get "fuzz" on a stamp or something like that...

in the end, it's a little simpler than silkscreening, with less setup and cleanup and less supplies needed, but with slightly more lo-fi results.

theehman

Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

Filament

Analogman has been using stamps for a long time, I think they look really good.  I think Mike uses an industrial strength ink so the labeling is very durable.  Your stamps look really good as well, I may have to steal that idea. 
This is not my large automobile

PerroGrande

+1 to "borrowing" the idea.   ;D

I'm still looking for ways to label enclosures.  I'm looking for simple and clean -- possibly even something that could be clear coated with powder coating (i.e. can withstand heat).  I'll have to look into the various inks that are available and start doing some research!

John Lyons

Looks pretty cool Brian!
Did you use the permanent Stazon ink?
Should have dried in a few minutes...

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check that out.
john

Another post about the subject:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=69922.0
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

caress

yeah i'm using the stazon solvent-based ink.  it took a while to dry, though...  i clear-coated today, but think i was a little heavy handed as some of the ink ran a bit.

my girlfriend gave me the idea of using silkscreen ink with the stamp - later this week i'll try it out by rolling the ink onto the stamp...

doug deeper

ive been using stamps as well (i had a bunch of single words made for knob labels, and one that just says "mid-fi electronics").
i do plan on making some pedal size graphic stamps in the future though.
the stazon ink works great for me, and smells incredible!

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

tranceracer

Stamps.... Very neat idea!

What do you use to clean the stamps after you're done?  ...soap  ...water  ...alcohol?

frank_p

Quote from: tranceracer on October 06, 2008, 01:22:43 PM

What do you use to clean the stamps after you're done?  ...soap  ...water  ...alcohol?

It depends on the ink you use as with paint.

For that antique look.
Make your drawing by hand, tranfer to the stamp (wood, linoleum) with carbon copy sheet or/and vellum, and carve with your special gouges.
When you carve on linoleum, you can make it easier/softer by placing it under a hot lamp.

caress

Quote from: tranceracer on October 06, 2008, 01:22:43 PM

clean the stamps...?   ::)

doug deeper

i just stamp them on a piece of paper till it doesnt print anymore.

caress

frank_p

So you guys are using something that is really more an ink than a "paint".  There are some acrylic ink/paints in art stores, you can wash it with water before it dries.  I did not use it on stompboxes.  For oil based ones you have to use some VOC solvents.

rnfr

i made mine with these rubber stamp fonts that you can get at joann fabric stores.  there was only one font that i really liked though, and they are pretty big.   i stuck them onto a piece of wood and roll paint onto them with a roller that you use for block prints that i got at an art store.  then clear coat.  i love how they look- make em a little shaky on purpose sometimes.  thanks for the link!   i'll definitely have to look into that service.

tranceracer

I was thinking about taking this cool stamp idea to the next level...

While in Japan, I came across an embossing craft section in a Tokyu Hands Department store.  Intrigued by this., I Googled DIY embossing and sure enough there was lots of sites re: embossing.  Most of them referred to stamp embossing using clear embossing ink, embossing powder and a mini heat gun to melt the powder...  See where I'm going with this?

Maybe we can apply the embossing technique with the excellent suggestions on this thread of making custom stamps to make raised letter labels etc.

Just a thought...   :)

frank_p

Japeneses are master printers.  They have a tradition of printing in arts techniques, that are "out of this world".  It's  no wonder if Hunderwasser was going to them to do printings for his own personnal pictures.  Dig them and give tribute to them, they are part of our cultural way of seeing pictures.   It dates from the expressionsts, the impressionnists, Van Goght and even before.  And in advance: there were the Chinese printers and the Japenese printers.

I would really get a high if some were on this forum and getting a sense  of sharing.  THEY ARE MASTERS.    NOTHING  ELSE.
But, please, if you are hearing.  Come and we will give you tribute.  (I talk for myself) but even that...

They have a sense of iconography that is not our common sense.   But they bear the same willing in undrstanding the meaning of a stroke of a brush.

FHP