Simple Question - Inverting Amplifier

Started by bacterozoid, October 06, 2008, 01:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bacterozoid

So I'm working on the first stage of an Auto-Wah filter, but I've already run into a few problems. Now I admit, maybe I should start a little slower with all of this, but this one looks like a lot of fun and I have the circuit skills...maybe.

Anyways, the first stage is basically an inverting amplifier. I'm simulating this, and I get what looks like the proper results. The output is simply the input, but opposite. Granted there will be a variable resistor here eventually to control the voltage level, but that's for later.

Ok, so simple enough...I hook up the circuit, drop some inputs and outputs on there, and plug it up. With no input voltage I'm getting what I expect...the guitar sound without the effect of the amp. When I apply power, I get a very distorted clippy sound.

I'm using a JRC 386BD Op-Amp, if that helps. I tried two different amps with the same result. I'm powering it straight up with 9V (datasheet doesn't say I can't). So should I expect the sound I get until I finish the rest of the filter? I can post the schematic if necessary.

Thanks!

Edit: I did finally get LT Spice to give me an output file, which sounds exactly like the input file, save for a higher/lower volume, depending on my gain. That sounds right to me. Any ideas?

PerroGrande

A schematic would certainly be helpful.

Without biasing details, etc, it is a little hard to conjecture at what the exact problem might be.  The most obvious initial response is that the circuit is wired differently than it is in the simulator.

Another comment is that the JRC386 isn't quite the same as a regular op-amp.  I would expect something like a TL072 at the front of an Auto Wah, not a 386...

GibsonGM

Try using a regular op amp, the 386 is an audio amplifier.  You'll have different results with that chip than say an LM741 or TL0XX op amp! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

bacterozoid

Schematic below. I guess I was under the assumption that you want to use something like the 386 in an audio application...or would that be something I use when I'm trying to drive my own speaker, rather than using the amp I already have? I'll try a TL072 - have about 10 of them :)

dschwartz

definetly, you are using the wrong chip..

----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com