distortion chart

Started by Steben, October 07, 2008, 10:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

the simple fuzz thread made me think of this.
Feel free to give comment
octavia should come on top middle for example

• SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Auke Haarsma

Looks interesting!

Maybe it obvious, but can you explain what 'formulas' you used to pick the position of the effects on the charts.

FiveseveN

Funny you should bring this up. As part of my research for my master's degree I'm planning on developing a comprehensive graphical representation of OD/distortion/fuzz pedals' tone. Will it be a 2D chart, a 3D one or a whole system? I can't say yet, school's barely started and it's not an urgent topic, but since we're on the subject...
My approach would be to gather a whole cloud of keywords that describe a distorted tone and gradually eliminate them by abstraction. The end result would ideally be the least ammount of antonymous pairs that can exhaustively describe a tone (i.e. our axes). Any advice is, naturally, welcome.
By the way, maybe you've noticed BOSS have a similar chart: http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/DS-2/images/intro_R_L.jpg And their GT-10 has a similar 2D tone control.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

hday

I'd love to see a giant, completely full chart. It would also be great to have tone examples too. Perhaps someone that's good with Flash could make a version where you could click the effect name and hear a chord or two.

FiveseveN

That I could do, but unless they're all recorded under the same conditions, a compendium of samples is of no use for the user. I couldn't use other people's work anyway and as I don't own (or could borrow or have even seen) every distinctive distortion out there, I'll have to stick to samples of my own effects. Sounds like a nice collective project though, if you guys think the effort is worth it.
And here's another thought: Some effects are pretty versatile, so I'm thinking curves or areas instead of dots on a graph would describe them better. Some can go from mild OD to full-out distortion, from smooth/dark to glassy, and so on. Would that be too much of a hassle or maybe rely too much on subjective observation?
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

frequencycentral

What I really need is a VU meter version of that chart that I can plug my breadboard into. Then I'd know what I just made.  :icon_biggrin:
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Zben3129

Quote from: frequencycentral on October 07, 2008, 08:22:55 PM
What I really need is a VU meter version of that chart that I can plug my breadboard into. Then I'd know what I just made.  :icon_biggrin:

Actually, I believe what you are looking for is a miracle  :P

FiveseveN

A VU meter wouldn't help you much but a spectrum/THD analyzer is a start.

DougH

For some reason, this chart reminds me of this little gem from HC:

:icon_mrgreen:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

perhaps Mark Hammer or other psych background person could organise a pairwise comparison like/unlike trials & perform a dimensionality analysis on the results :icon_wink:

WGTP

When you start thinking about this, you quickly start coming up with problems, but it's is a cool idea.  If you look at the Boss Chart, notice the Overdrive/Distortion OS-2 is listed in 3 places.  The "MIX" control has OD on the left side and Dist. on the right.  It basically "pans" between the 2 different circuits.  It may be necessary to do that or have an "area" or "zone" for devices that have different character at different settings.  I think another argument that came up before when I proposed something like this, is that the design of the circuit, for example a TS, with various mods, may "sound" more like a Distortion + even though it is built like a TS.  Anyway, go for it.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Steben

I see, yet a standard TS is a standard TS.
The chart was not intedended as a large compendium, on the contrary.
I planned to achieve something like an easy guide to get orientation.

The OS-2 is a pedal I would not put in this, since it is in fact two pedals in one, which are almost completely represented by another one.
  • SUPPORTER

liddokun

Where would a Guv'nor fit in on this?  Or BSIAB2
To those about to rock, we salute you.

Steben

Quote from: liddokun on October 09, 2008, 11:53:12 AM
Where would a Guv'nor fit in on this?  Or BSIAB2

BSIAB on lowest line, next to power tube,
Guvnor on lowest line, next to DS1.
  • SUPPORTER

MikeH

http://media.bossus.com/interactive/vdg.html

Kind of like this- although I think it's funny; I would have put a lot of these on the other side of the rough/smooth line
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

DougH

Sounds like a good name for a fuzz box: "Virtual Distortion Grid"...
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."