Thor: insert an EQ?

Started by Bucksears, October 07, 2008, 05:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksears

I'm finally thinking about building a Thor for my low(er) Marshall tones and keeping my BSIAB II for my higher gain ones.
The idea of the on/off, hi/lo toggle switches is a bit of a turnoff since I'm a knob-twiddler; can pots be substituted for the toggle switches and a resistor?
Or is it possible to insert a tone circuit somewhere?

Thanks,
Buck

dschwartz

yes you can.. choose your favorite tone control and put it in
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

bean

Sub an active control like the TS in place of the tone circuit in U1, or set up a passive filter before U1 (probably a muff type would work well) and set U1 as unity gain or a slight boost (say a 20k in the feedback loop and 10k and 220nf to ground off pin2 for a recovery stage of +3 gain after the tone circuit ((and a -6db dropoff starting @ around 72hz))).

Name it....The Angry Fist of God......??????

mth5044

Quote from: Bucksears on October 07, 2008, 05:26:03 PM
I'm finally thinking about building a Thor for my low(er) Marshall tones and keeping my BSIAB II for my higher gain ones.
The idea of the on/off, hi/lo toggle switches is a bit of a turnoff since I'm a knob-twiddler; can pots be substituted for the toggle switches and a resistor?
Or is it possible to insert a tone circuit somewhere?

Thanks,
Buck

Try the tonemender. Supposed to be a pretty good tone circuit.

dschwartz

yup..tonemender will work great in a thor...i remember making a pcb with both ckts..never built it...
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

Bucksears

Thanks, guys.
Looking at the Tonemender, that looks like a VERY useful circuit.
Where would it go in the Thor schem?

mth5044

Probably right on the end, but I'm not sure.

Bucksears

And would it require another transistor stage to boost the signal?
(or not, since the Tonemender is active?)

mth5044

No, the tonemender doesnt need a recovery stage, so it can basically be a stand alone effect, so just put it on the end of the thor.