How do you store your resistors?

Started by Zben3129, October 11, 2008, 06:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zben3129

Okay, so heres the deal,

I just bought about 200 of 30-40 of the most common resistor values, I finally got sick of faking values by paralle/series.

I want to make sure I don't waste these, so I need a GOOD organization system. If I get values mixed togethe they become trash, as I am colorblind and don't feel like DMMing 1000+ resistors  :icon_eek:

I was thinking those stackers with the little plastic drawers would be perfect, label each drawer, but I can't seem to find them anywhere! Anyone know where to get them?

Also, if anyone has ideas for storing resistors, I'm all ears!

Thanks

Zach

solderman

Hi
I have stored all my components in the cabinet below. Each drawer has a range of values E.G 1R-100R, 1K-9.9K, 10K-99K 1-9.9nF Poly , Pot 100K Log and Audio, FET All , NPN ALL, OP amps,  ETC, ETC.

I have found it quite convenient to Carrie around and its easy to find the component you are looking and easy to know when to fill before empty.

//Solderman
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

Zben3129

Thats EXACTLY the kind of storage drawer-thingy I'm looking to buy!

Where/ how much?

Zach

solderman

Well
I bought mine at Clasohlsson (Swedish hardware store )  http://www.clasohlson.se/Product/Category.aspx?id=251752&_path=251882;251170;251745;251752

but the should be quite easy to find in any well stored hardware store

The brand of mine is a RAACO so if you goggle that you probably find one close to you

//Solderman
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

R.G.

Go to an office supplies place. Buy a box of 100 or so coin envelopes.

Put resistors in the coin envelopes, mark the value on the outside of the envelope. I have every standard value from 10R to 2.2M in a box the size of a small shoebox. They stand on edge and it's easy to riffle through and find the marked value.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Solidhex

Yo

I like the cases the small bear resistor kits come in. No sorting to do!

--Brad

mth5044

You can get those plastic box thingers at lowes/home depot for $10-$15. I got one with smaller drawers and bigger ones, works good for just about everything from resistors to circuit boards to solder and wires.

Also, If I get a lot of resistors (like 20+) I like to put a line of tape over them and connect them together, then write what value they are. Can get pretty rough, but I think it's worth it in the long run.

alteredsounds

One thing I do to make things even quicker to find is not include any resistors under 1k in my filing system, they are sorted in their bags in a big bag and close to hand but 99% of time its gonna be values over 1k you'll want.

Sir_Ian

I did what I read that someone else on the forum had done.

I bought some small manilla envelopes from office depot....(like 3 inch by 5 inch) and have a separate envelope for each resistor type. And I just label all the envelopes. I grabbed a cardboard box from work that was just the perfect size. It was like 18 inches long but only like 3 and a half inches wide. So all my resistors fit in there from smallest to least. Think of it like opening a filing cabinet drawer.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Pedal love

Like solderman except with floss boxes originally made for embroidery threads. I label values with adhesive labels.

Filament

I buy resistors that are still on the strip then fold them up and tuck them inside the drawers of my little storage cabinet.  The idea being that if an earthquake (and we do get them in Seattle) was to topple my storage cabinets, the resistors won't fly all over and get cross mojonated. 
This is not my large automobile

Zben3129

I think I am going to go for a combination of all 3 ideas, actually   ;D

At least I don't have to worry about quakes here in mass  :icon_eek:

sixstringphil

Quote from: R.G. on October 11, 2008, 07:22:49 PM

Put resistors in the coin envelopes, mark the value on the outside of the envelope. I have every standard value from 10R to 2.2M in a box the size of a small shoebox. They stand on edge and it's easy to riffle through and find the marked value.

I do the same thing...

The tray is a silverware drawer organizer from the kitchen section of WalMart.

Here are some other threads that might give you some ideas...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=64707.0
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=67537.100

frank_p

I use the little plastic bags with zip (same sizes as the coin envelopes). I put a little piece of paper in it with the datas, where they came from and how much I paid.  They are 100 for 1$.  Then I make a cardboard box for them.  Then I put them in those big Jobmate toolboxes you can have for 15$.  This way I can take them with me easily wherever I decide to go working.

Zben3129

Yay, finally found some of the drawer cabinets at harborfreight!! (CHEAP  ;D)

15 bucks for a 40 drawer, can't beat that. Time to buy 1 (4?) of them.

Zach

cheezit

Great minds think alike---I got a 100 pack of 2" by 3" plastic ziploc bags at Office Depot for $7.  It's the same kind Small Bear uses in sending out resistors.  Then I took a shoebox and made a series of 2" by 2" compartments out of cardboard, like a beer sixpack.  Now I have all my resistors and capacitors in ascending order of value in a tiny space, and they are easy to find and put away.

railhead

QFT

I also buy by the 1000 from mouser, and I keep them in their little 100-ct bags inside the main box.