if noise dissapears when the guitar volume is at Zero...

Started by sjaltenb, October 11, 2008, 09:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

Ok so im testing out some pedals with my test rig and all that... and i have been having a lot of trouble lately with my strat buzzing/humming...

so anyway i plug up my tube driver to the rig to play with it and put it on pretty high volume/gain. When the test is bypass i get my normal strat buzz/hiss.. when i engage the test rig, the buzz is tremendous...BUT it is silent if i roll the guitar back...

so is it sage to say that the high gain tube driver is just amplifying a noise that is already present? With the guitar volume at Zero, if i crank the TD to max gain, volume, trebble and bass i get a slight his (its not even in an enclosure, just sitting by my computer circuit exposed).

So...which is to blame, the guitar or the TD?

liddokun

It's mostly the guitar.  A high gain circuit will amplify everything, including t he noise, being fed into it. 
To those about to rock, we salute you.

sjaltenb

yeah, thats what i was afraid of.

i miss my noiseless pus :icon_rolleyes:

liddokun

I hear ya.  I'm playing through an unshielded tele.  Gotta shield it soon though, it's unbearable.  :icon_mrgreen:
To those about to rock, we salute you.

kurtlives

Also depends how you position yourself in relation to your amp.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

MusicAudio

Definitely your guitar if turning down the guitar volume is the only that gets rid of the buzz. Are there any florescent lights in the room you're playing in? Florescent lights wreak havoc on single coil pickups; there's the downside of the CF revolution.
I don't care much about music. What I like is sounds.
-Dizzy Gillespie

Zben3129

sjaltenb

no flourescent lights, just a computer and stuff...

i figured it was the guitar, but it just got SO much worse that i was suprised. but the again all my effects are taken apart right now so i havent really used my guitar through any effects since i got the new pickups:

CS Fat 50s in the neck
CS 69 in the middle
SSL5 in the bridge

wonderful combination! I put all kinds of foil on the inside, sent it to a tech, he rewired it (i hate working on guitars) and its STILL there. pure buzz, no hiss....

i guess I shouldnt be worried about the condition or the wiring of my tube driver then, since it must be the guitar..

As a side note....does anyone know if the Power section of these vintage Tube Drivers (they take 12vac in) can be removed easily so i dont have to run AC power through my Cornish Board? Im worried about how the AC lines will affect my other 9v effects if i have to run AC all around there...