Tim escobedo's "Octup!" in spice simulation

Started by Steben, October 14, 2008, 10:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

just tested the thing with and extra emitter follower in front.
The result was...
...a perfect sine wave at double frequency.
:icon_eek:
Man, that's a shock!

Tim is tha man...
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

earthtonesaudio

Steben

a perfect sine wave at half the frequency of the output.

green = input
red = output

I must add that I inserted a 12k resistor at the drains of the FET's, which were 2N5457
  • SUPPORTER

gigimarga

Kultur Vultur

The question is how does it preform when fed with more complex waveforms.

earthtonesaudio

There are a couple of things to consider when you import this circuit into the "real world"...
First, even in SPICE, the octave up waveform Steven shows in the graph isn't a perfect sine.  Notice that every other lower peak is of a different amplitude compared to its neighbor.
Second, the SPICE simulation probably used perfectly matched JFETs.  (Correct me if I'm wrong, of course!) That will give you the best cancellation possible, better than any real pair of JFETs could hope to achieve.
Third, the only way for the Octup! circuit to pass sound is if there is some distortion present in the JFET stage.  It's a cancellation stage, which means the original waveform is nulled out, leaving only the distortion products.  The distortion is summed at the drains of the JFETs, giving a prominent octave up (plus higher harmonics).  If it didn't distort at all, no sound would come out!

In spite of all that, it's still a VERY "clean sounding" method of getting an octave up.  Much more so than full-wave rectification, which doesn't give much of a sine output at all (more like hypertriangular than sine).  So the sound should be cleaner than other octave up boxes, just don't expect polyphonic 12-string textures, that's all I'm sayin'.

mac

I breadboarded it once using a couple of well matched 2s117. Nice almost-clean octave.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Steben

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on October 14, 2008, 05:12:18 PM
There are a couple of things to consider when you import this circuit into the "real world"...
First, even in SPICE, the octave up waveform Steven shows in the graph isn't a perfect sine.  Notice that every other lower peak is of a different amplitude compared to its neighbor.

true, however, it is not the dry output of the Octup!
It is the outer position of a blend pot. Which means there is a percentage original wave in it. ;-)
  • SUPPORTER

earthtonesaudio

Touché! 

Nice work with the SPICE sim Steven.