Green resistors?

Started by asfastasdark, October 15, 2008, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asfastasdark

I've been seeing this a lot in gut shots and I've been wondering: What are those green resistors?

Zben3129

I don't know what the exact picture you are looking at is, but probably something from vishay.

Zach

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Pretty sure they just have a different rating. With the resistors we sell at my work, 1/4watt are green, 1/2watt are blue, 1watt are cream/beige

liddokun

The 1/4 watt resistors I get from my electronic store are green.  No difference though, that I can see.  It's 5%. 
To those about to rock, we salute you.

Zben3129

Are you meaning solid green with a kind of plasticy (sp?) look and probably a number code rather than color bands, or a normal resistor with the cream "background" turned to green? If its the first one, then probably vishay/dale resistors.

Zach

Zben3129

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=HaAz2OYkmGjDYXCXvZgsqg%3d%3d

Take a look at those, might be along the lines of what you are looking for...

mouser number : 71-RN55D-F-10k

(Replace 10k with whatever value you want. e.x. 1m would be 71-RN55D-F-1m)

Zach

asfastasdark

Quote from: Zben3129 on October 15, 2008, 05:18:48 PM
Are you meaning solid green with a kind of plasticy (sp?) look and probably a number code rather than color bands, or a normal resistor with the cream "background" turned to green? If its the first one, then probably vishay/dale resistors.

Zach

Second one ;)

asfastasdark

I don't know what happened to the "Modify" button, but I'm talking about this:

EDIT: Better picture:

For example under the top-left-most film cap, and to the right of that same cap. And under the green resistor that is to the right of the cap.

EDIT 2:
Or between the two yellow caps:

rogeryu_ph

Metal film resistor. 1% tolerance

Zben3129

Quote from: rogeryu_ph on October 16, 2008, 06:24:55 PM
Metal film resistor. 1% tolerance

Tolerance is noted by the 4th color band, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure this is just a specific company's resistor. 1% is brown, red 2%, gold 5%, silver 10%. I am thinking this is just an asthetic thing. Only other things I can think of on resistors are temperature coeff. but I rarely see those and it has always been just another band

Zach

liddokun

I think it's asthetics thing, because the local electronics shop in my area sells 5% carbon film 1/4 resistors that are green. 
To those about to rock, we salute you.

frank_p

If you have a red car it's a 8 cyl.
a yellow a 6 cyl.
But a beige is only 4 cyl.
And finally brown would be a 2 strokes 1cyl...

Without jokes: I have resistors of about all the colours: I like them like this: it puts colors in your builds.  But I don't think it means anything.  I wish there were more colors on ICs, transistors and etc.  There would be beautiful gutshots...

alanlan

Using different colours in your builds gives customers something to muse over years later.

newfish

I think I have some in a drawer upstairs - standard colours, just on a green body.

I always though the green body indicated a different level of tolerance.

...but maybe they have more mojo...?  :icon_rolleyes:
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

rogeryu_ph

Maybe it's asthetics and also with 5 band coding but it is a green isn't it?
This one is a real metal film, blue color with also a 5 band coding
http://epektos.com/product/e859ae24-d688-4ee0-9e7e-ff969db29262.aspx

Roger

frank_p

I apologise for the post that I've done before in this topic.  I pulled some of mine from what I had and got a response from Dragonfly in an other topic that I have made (after doubting my answer in this topic).  So maybe the color of the resistor might not be a direct link to a metal film resistor, but it can still be an indication or clue that it is one of that nature.  See the picture that I've posted and try to draw your own "conclusion" if it is possible.  Also, if, you have an opinion about that, post it.

Also, read the links that I've posted about that same subject.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=71660.msg578230#msg578230

Sorry...  :icon_neutral:

Dai H.

I've seen (and have) carbon film, comp, and metal film in various colours incl. blue, green, red, pink, white, black. Doesn't seem to be any special significance.

frank_p

Quote from: Dai H. on October 22, 2008, 02:55:20 AM
I've seen (and have) carbon film, comp, and metal film in various colours incl. blue, green, red, pink, white, black. Doesn't seem to be any special significance.

So the question is (then) ( and perhaps still is) (Or was) (Or damn, I don't know anymore !!!).  How can you identify the natures/composition of resistances based on their apparency.  Form ? Lead ends ? Colour bands ? Etc.  It seems that there are no clear answer to that (Other than package identification by the manufacturer) (?).  Do you have to test them in  a noise identifying machine !!!

I can't believe that if someone want to build a Rangemaster with metal film resistors from surplus stores, that it can be such a headache !!!

I may be wrong but, ($%&*!) we are talking about a one stage gain effect with a germanium and some resistors and there are no ways to do it correctly with low costs (surplus) parts without asking to a "certified" trader what is the label (and he could tell you anything ...) of the minimal costing device.

I've went to some stores, and all of them could not tell if their "other than tan colour resistors" were "other than carbon films".  And this was to verify some questions about those "green"  resistors that some have posted (questions) in this forum, and in my case was to build a Rangemaster for a band that are real friends of mine that want one (rangemaster).

Once I had a fixation on caps appearance.  I toughed it was worthwhile.  But now we are talking about some resistances...  OK, yes they are as important as caps in any audio circuits.   But ... .... .... we are talking about some Rs after all.

F.H.P.

Again...  Sorry...  for the argumentative tone of my post.