Those Who Got a MicFarlow Wah Casing

Started by letsgocoyote, October 18, 2008, 12:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

letsgocoyote

Just got mine today, looks great.  How are yall drilling and placeing the rack and pinion setup?  Where should it go for the full sweep, or does it matter.  My brain isnt processing physics and mechanics right now!  Still waiting on my wah pot anyhow so we shall see!

mnordbye

I'm also interested in this subject, allthough i have yet to receive mine. (Norwegian postal services are slow. They probably had to much sirup for lunch!)

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

yeeshkul

can you please provide a link to the site

MicFarlow77

Hey Yaw,

Placing the pot and rack system is pretty straight forward.

The first thing ya need to do is to set the toe down limit. You can use stops or a foot switch... really doesn't matter.

Once you get toe down set, then you can, with the toe down, set the placement of the rack. You want to make sure that it is far enough towards the toe that it get's almost all the way to the bottom plate, but not so close that it hits it. Place the wah on it's side and with the toe down, hold the clip on the bottom edge of the wah paddle and make sure that the very end of the rack does not get within about an 1/8th of an inch of the bottom edge. If you are using a footswitch, make sure you do that step with the switch engaged.

When drilling the holes for both the brackets, drill one, then mount the rack or the pot brackets, then drill through the second hole from the brackets side and you have perfect alignment.

Once you get the rack placed, then you can drill the hole in the top for the rack to go through.

Once the rack is through the top, then you can actually put the pot into it's bracket and then line up the pot bracket against the rack and mark where that goes. Again, drill one, and you should be able to put it together to makeu sure it will all work before drilling the second hole.

Once you get the rack and pot brackets mounted, you'll need to drill the hole for the clutch. Basically, you'll need to install everything, then push the toe down, hold the rach firm against the pinion (it actually should hold itself) and place a piece of tape across the enclosure and have the tape edge just touch the back side of the pot. Then you can take the paddle off and measure back from the edge of the tape that was against the rack 5/8 of an inch and there is where you would drill the hole for the clutch....

This is the process off the top of my head.. I need to run to the post office to get the remaining ones shipped... please use this thread to post questions and I'll be glad to answer them.

Many Thanks all,

Mick

PS, I'll try to post a couple of pics a little later today.

wampcat1

Quote from: MicFarlow77 on October 18, 2008, 11:02:27 AM
Hey Yaw,

Placing the pot and rack system is pretty straight forward.

The first thing ya need to do is to set the toe down limit. You can use stops or a foot switch... really doesn't matter.

Once you get toe down set, then you can, with the toe down, set the placement of the rack. You want to make sure that it is far enough towards the toe that it get's almost all the way to the bottom plate, but not so close that it hits it. Place the wah on it's side and with the toe down, hold the clip on the bottom edge of the wah paddle and make sure that the very end of the rack does not get within about an 1/8th of an inch of the bottom edge. If you are using a footswitch, make sure you do that step with the switch engaged.

When drilling the holes for both the brackets, drill one, then mount the rack or the pot brackets, then drill through the second hole from the brackets side and you have perfect alignment.

Once you get the rack placed, then you can drill the hole in the top for the rack to go through.

Once the rack is through the top, then you can actually put the pot into it's bracket and then line up the pot bracket against the rack and mark where that goes. Again, drill one, and you should be able to put it together to makeu sure it will all work before drilling the second hole.

Once you get the rack and pot brackets mounted, you'll need to drill the hole for the clutch. Basically, you'll need to install everything, then push the toe down, hold the rach firm against the pinion (it actually should hold itself) and place a piece of tape across the enclosure and have the tape edge just touch the back side of the pot. Then you can take the paddle off and measure back from the edge of the tape that was against the rack 5/8 of an inch and there is where you would drill the hole for the clutch....

This is the process off the top of my head.. I need to run to the post office to get the remaining ones shipped... please use this thread to post questions and I'll be glad to answer them.

Many Thanks all,

Mick

PS, I'll try to post a couple of pics a little later today.

website link please - some of us are interested but have no idea where to go to find out what you are talking about... :)

bw

Auke Haarsma

I don't think Mick has a website. But you can check his gallery for pics:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/MicksPics/?g2_page=3

Most info is available on this forum.

Birth of the idea: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=67548.0

Pics of first series: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=70470.0
(I've got two of those :D #1 and #2  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:)

MicFarlow77

Hey All,

Thanks Auke for the post... very accurate to... I do not have a website... it's on the list of things I need to do though... just can't seem to get around to it though.... one of these days....

The threads below do tell the story though and I'll try to post more in this thread as well!

Thanks,

Mick

wampcat1

MicFarlow77

Hey Ya'll,

An additional thing to note when installing the bracket for the rack that I forgot to mention in my previous post above...

The hole for the screw can be done with a 1/8" bit and you can use a 1/4 bit to do the countersink. It's not the exact same angle, but it is pretty close. When I did my test one, I went down just the debth of the point of the bit... was the perfect debth....

Of course, if you have an actual countersink bit, please use that as it will fit the screw a wee bit better.

Thanks,

Mick

Joe Hart

I got one and it's amazing!! One question, though, it seems like there is some kind of textured finish on it (anodized?) -- do I need to paint it or can I leave it as is? I dig the plain aluminum look of it now. Thanks.
-Joe Hart

nelson

Quote from: Joe Hart on October 24, 2008, 11:56:02 AM
I got one and it's amazing!! One question, though, it seems like there is some kind of textured finish on it (anodized?) -- do I need to paint it or can I leave it as is? I dig the plain aluminum look of it now. Thanks.
-Joe Hart

If it's the same as all his other enclosures that will be belt sander art.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

mnordbye

Got mine now too, gonna drill it tomorrow i guess. Can't wait! And didn't think it would be THAT big! Beats the fat lady in both singing and size..  ;D

Anyone know where to get some grip tape by the way? The type you can use on skateboards.. Figured it works well to keep your foot in place on there...

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

MicFarlow77

Quote from: Joe Hart on October 24, 2008, 11:56:02 AM
-Joe Hart

Hey Joe,

Just sanding with an orbital sander and some 80 grit paper.... if you like the look of that, just hit it with a little clear and be done with it!

Quote from: nelson on October 24, 2008, 12:07:41 PM
If it's the same as all his other enclosures that will be belt sander art.

+1

Belt Sander or Orbital Sander art... one or the other....

Quote from: mnordbye on October 24, 2008, 02:28:22 PM
Got mine now too, gonna drill it tomorrow i guess. Can't wait! And didn't think it would be THAT big! Beats the fat lady in both singing and size..  ;D

Anyone know where to get some grip tape by the way? The type you can use on skateboards.. Figured it works well to keep your foot in place on there...

Magnus Nordbye

Hey Magnus,

I got some at a local skateboard shop.

If you can't find any local, lemme know and I'll take care of ya.

Thanks,

Mick

John Lyons

I got my wah from Mick a couple days ago.
Looks great!!!!!
I got the basic kit with just the rack and mounting hardware.
Here are a few pics of mine before I work on it.
I put it next to a standard crababy for comparison.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

John Lyons

Have they all been sent out mick?
Anyone else get there's or worked on them?
I have to knock out some things and then I'll tackle the wah case.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

MicFarlow77

Quote from: John Lyons on October 25, 2008, 03:45:33 PM
Have they all been sent out mick?
Anyone else get there's or worked on them?
I have to knock out some things and then I'll tackle the wah case.

john

Hey John,

All but 2 have gone out and those are accounted for and will be shipped at the end of the month.

Also, while I am here... those who got the plexi kit.... when you drill your holes for the LED's, you can take off the top plate and drill just through the plexi and the 1/4" back plate.

Thanks,

Mick

letsgocoyote

I just got the wah pot i needed, so hopefuly sometime htis next week i will get around to fitting everythign!

I am going to be building a fun little fuzzwah!

mnordbye

By the way, what are those 2 think screws for? Can't seem to figure out what do you them with.  :P

And one more thing, which way would be the best to mount the gear and bracket? This way ( http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=548 ) or rotate it 90 degrees?

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

MicFarlow77

Quote from: mnordbye on October 26, 2008, 08:11:03 AM
By the way, what are those 2 think screws for? Can't seem to figure out what do you them with.  :P

And one more thing, which way would be the best to mount the gear and bracket? This way ( http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=548 ) or rotate it 90 degrees?

Magnus Nordbye

Hey Magnus,

I included the two longer screws for the rack bracket just incase the others were too short.... if you don't need them, you can use them in a piece of screw art....  ;D ;D ;D

Also, you need to mount the pot with the pinion parallel to the front or the back, rather than parallel to the side.

Thanks,

Mick

mnordbye

Okey, thanks. That's like in the link i listed above, right? Just to make sure.. :)

Drilled the hole for the footswitch now (all the way at the top, a bit to the right), and i've been sitting by my computer and rocking this thing for an hour now. Makes me feel good!  ;D

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook