An update to the Orange Citrus MK2... The Green Citrus!

Started by Branimir, October 19, 2008, 01:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Branimir

Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

Davelectro

Quote from: LabyrinthAudio on March 26, 2013, 04:11:06 PM
I did notice on my build that unity gain was almost at 3 o'clock on the volume pot. Maybe a mu-amp/makeup amplifier would help here to give some boost? The tone was absolutely crushing though!

In my experience, linear pots work better as gain controls for this kind of emulators. Log pots feel too "slow" in variable voltage dividers like all these circuits use. That's why people sometimes put an extra resistor between lug 1 -of a log pot- and ground. Of course, that also means you're no longer able to set the gain to zero.

LabyrinthAudio

Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results.

LabyrinthAudio

Forgot to add some details:

Citrus settings were: Gain and volume @ 10'clock and Treble, Bass, and Boost controls were at noon. Towards the end of both clips, I cranked the gain up all the way.
Model T settings were: Both in, Normal @ 3, Brite @ 3, Master @ 3, Treble, Bass, Mid, and Presence @ 5.
Coliseum Lead settings were: Volume 2, Normal input, Hi & Lo Bass @ 4, Mid @ 3, and Treble @ 2

In the middle of the clips, I turned down my guitar (MIM Tele) volume and brought it up slowly so you can hear that biasing issue I have.
Generally it sounds good but it definitely needs some tweaking for less farty-ness and the gate-like sound.

Let me know what you guys think!

justaddsomeecho

Hi guys!

I've done some modifications to the basic circuit.
I completely removed tonestack to increase gain, added Tone(Cut) control before the output stage.
I added FAC control(really helps to get tighter bass, but even at 220p it gives nice fat sound)
Also I channged some values and rearranged feedback circuit(to my ears it sound better now).

So, now it's some kind of "dopesmoker tone in a box"(especially with FAC set to 47n).

I'll record some samples if you are interested. :)

LabyrinthAudio

justaddsomeecho Yea let's hear some clips! I haven't done anything with this circuit since I built it...Did you have any issues with a gated/compressed sound that I experienced on my build? Might have had something to do with the tonestack...Thanks

blana

Hello,

I have built a silicone adaptation of this circuit, starting from the schematic posted by justaddsomeecho. The transistors are 2n3904 and were biased as in the amz silicone transistor booster:

http://www.muzique.com/schem/multi.htm

I have shared the layout and a soundsample :

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3HEK-5LrRCydUNNeGJNSnpiYjQ&usp=sharing

What I used in the recording: a telecaster clone with seymour duncan picups and a fender fm15r amp. The mic was a professional zoom recorder placed slightly off the cone.

I guess I can fiddle with the biasing on this circuit to make it sound better, but i've decided to try out a couple more variations and insist on the one that i like most:

- mosfet variant
- Silicone version but with muff like stages (testing with and without diodes)
- silicone version with bazz fuss type arrangements for the stages
- opamp version

Advice would be welcome, even retard-proof ones :)

And yeah, jfets are impossible to obtain at reasonable prices around here. :D

Davelectro

Davelectro

blana

Thanks! I'll post the mosfet version as soon as its ready - i think that one will sound even closer.  :D

LabyrinthAudio

Quote from: blana on January 17, 2014, 07:35:00 AM
Thanks! I'll post the mosfet version as soon as its ready - i think that one will sound even closer.  :D

Sounds sick!! How's the low end and lower gain response? As I recall, my prototype was farty and pretty much unusable at lower gain settings. Thanks!

Monotremata

Holy crapola! Come on guys keep em coming!!! Damn both of your guys boxes sound so damn close to a good old 90s Green..
The fact that both of you guys did your clips with Teles is even better (my #1 nowadays is my stock Classic 60s tuned down to C#).
My GGG Fuzzface gets sorta in that area with my AC15C1 but man you guys just about NAILED it.
I gotta hear this thing through my Vox AND my JCM800 half stack!

Hurry up thursday cause thats when my tax return gets here!!! :)

justaddsomeecho

Hello guys!

Here's demo of my first raw prototype(recorded with my Estang(pine esquire and mustang hybrid with japanese Fender Vintage-Tl pickup in bridge position) tuned to drop C , directly into me recording interface, then i ran it thru Amplitube 3 Fender Twin Reverb)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zpox5mtdy46e1p/OM.mp3
Sorry for sloppy playing.

I changed it a little bit after testing with several different guitars and amps. I'll record new demo(with real amp and cab) soon.
Anyway, it's really nice sounding pedal with both guitar and bass. Not only for stoner/doom stuff, it's pretty versatile(FAC knob does wonders).
Oh, and it cleans up really  great with volume knob.

But I don't like how it sounds with fuzzes before it(maybe a bias mistake), it gets too compressed to my taste even at low gain settings.

blana

Wow, nice to see peple are still preoccupied by this topic!
I finished the second version and it sounds a little better, but i think i'll try a new approach for the next versions. Unfortunately it will be a while untill then, since my workbench is packed for home renovation..
I'll post the results as soon as able.

Justaddsomeecho - cant hear your clip, it gets downloaded but the player says it cant be opened...

Thanks,

justaddsomeecho

I recorded another clip with my modded Sound City amp, Fane Medusa speaker and Sennheiser e609 mic.

I'm currently using this pedal with my band at medium gain settiings for really fat 70s rock overdrive, works nice with different amp/cab setup.
I'm adding full range booster of Muff before it for some super heavy stuff.

Hexjibber

Quote from: justaddsomeecho on December 01, 2013, 06:10:47 AM
Hi guys!

I've done some modifications to the basic circuit.
I completely removed tonestack to increase gain, added Tone(Cut) control before the output stage.
I added FAC control(really helps to get tighter bass, but even at 220p it gives nice fat sound)
Also I channged some values and rearranged feedback circuit(to my ears it sound better now).

So, now it's some kind of "dopesmoker tone in a box"(especially with FAC set to 47n).

I'll record some samples if you are interested. :)

Hi there,

I'm really interested in having a go at this and was just about to knock up something in Eagle but just wanted to know which sort of diode D1 was on your schematic?

The demo sounds great!

Cheers,
Graham

Davelectro

Hexjibber

mark0210

Hey, any chance anyone here has one of these they'd be looking to sell? I've been looking for a Green/Matamp style pedal for a while, and this looks promising, but I know nothing of building my own pedals.