Adding a tuner output

Started by mcasey1, October 19, 2008, 01:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcasey1

From looking at the schematics for the Ernie Ball Volume pedals, it appears that all that must be done in order to add a tuner output to a volume pedal is to add a mono jack and connect it's tip connection with the tip connection of the input jack.  I just want to make sure that this is a good way to go about adding a tuner output, so anyone who can confirm or suggest something else would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Matt

sean k

I 'm pretty sure I did that to a box I actually sold and was on a switch, momentary, that grounded the signal to the amp and went to the tuner. I t was at the end of the first buffer if I remember correctly so the signal was still purely guitar. Cap of the out and a resistor to ground.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

mcasey1

Does anyone know if this is a possibility?  Just adding a jack that takes a direct line from the tip of your volume pedal input jack?

Thanks!

GibsonGM

if you want to do it (right) fancy, add a FET buffer.  Take a wire from the input jack, run it to the buffer, and connect the output of the buffer to a new jack connected to the tuner.  Check out the Buffer/Splitter at AMZ (link at top of page).   This way there will be no loading of your guitar signal.  You could leave the tuner plugged in, or not, shouldn't matter.   Just use the 1st FET and omit the 2 below it on the schematic...really easy build, too!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

shredgd

Quote from: mcasey1 on October 21, 2008, 12:23:26 AM
Does anyone know if this is a possibility?  Just adding a jack that takes a direct line from the tip of your volume pedal input jack?

Thanks!

It might work right or it might not, depending on the tuner quality.
If it has a high input buffer, your signal won't be loaded down, so it will be ok. But if the tuner has a low input impedence buffer, your tone will be "sucked".
Also, with this yet simple trick your signal will continuosly go to both your amp and your tuner: if your tuner catches radio frequency (tuners are usually made of plastic, and are often not properly shielded), you might hear them from your amp, as well.

In my opinion, what you can do is try and make a temporary connection from the input tip of the volume pedal and your tuner with a "crocodile" cable, or whatever you have at hand, and see if:
1) your tone is preserved
2) you have no RF problems
Note that you should be able to close the chassis of your volume pedal in order to check this last point, and you should also use the shortest wire possible, as you will probably use a non-shielded cable (so you might pick up radio frequencies from it).

Giulio
Protect your hearing.
Always use earplugs whenever you are in noisy/loud situations.

My videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/shredgd5
My band's live videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/swinglekings