How many of you guys run in stereo?

Started by frequencycentral, October 21, 2008, 03:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

Just curious.....I've got a few ideas for stereo effects. Just wondering how many people use or would consider using stereo, even for home/studio use if not actually for gigging.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Renegadrian

My practice gear is guitar-->Zoom multiFX (I've got a lot of them, 2020, 3030, 9000, 2100, ecc)-->PC soundboard.
That way I can practice till late night thru my headphones and enjoy the stereo FX of the Zoom,

So yes, it could be interesting for me...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

DougH

I used to, until I got tired of hauling around 2 amps. I ran my roto machine and delay in stereo.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

drewl

I usually do, since I almost always use at least two amps.

rogeryu_ph

Tip?  I'm interested, i'm using Boss GT10 mostly in two channel type preamp stereo L/R mode with some dlytime ms on one channel.

guitarman89

when I play with my computer i use the stereo outputs of my zoom 505II (now i'm using it like a pod) or when i use my entire pedalboard i use the outputs of ibanez de7. One channel for dry signal, and the other one for the delayed signal. Sometimes (when the other guitar player doesn't come with us) I use two amplifier. I can create a little wall of sound that is useful in some situation!
built: MXR Dist+,dod250-280,dr boogey,IC buffers,cmos drive,multiface,20W SS pwr amps,phase90,tubescreamer,rat,amzMB,wuly mammoth,dod280,zombie chorus
under constur:60W 3886 amp,jcm800 em
www.myspace.com/guitarmanbll
www.myspace.com/filospinatopunk

dr

....I don't play much anymore,but when I do I use two different Casio synth guitars connected to Alesis NanoPiano and Nano Synth;I use a pedalboard with a PDS 20/20 at the end to get pseudo-stereo into two '65 Fender Deluxes with 12" JBL's.....its pretty good sounding to me.... :)

Mark Hammer

I got myself a nice little stereo Fender SK20.  Not a spectacular amp as amps go, but light and portable (a whole lot lighter than a JC120), has two power amps, one per speaker, and a loop insert point that will operate in mono-send/stereo-return.  Makes running in stereo a breeze.

Joe Hart

I always record in stereo (I hate losing the "spontaneity" of a track by double tracking the guitars -- and I play pretty "off the cuff" so it's hard to replay a take exactly as I just played it). For gigging, I would like to but usually it's too much of a hassle (and no one seems to notice a difference anyway -- they just want to see you play behind your head, with your teeth, jump around, etc.). But in a perfect world, I would always run stereo.

And for more specifics...

I run my guitar into various pedals, then at the end into a Boss stereo chorus that splits the signal and then into a Boss stereo delay. So my signal is really just split at the end and really only to widen the sound. I have the chorus set pretty mellow. So, it's not like I make HUGE use of stereo imaging or ping-ponging or panning or anything. It just makes the guitar bigger.

Hope this helps.
-Joe Hart

Salvatore

I always try to work in stereo,,
And if I can't (to much hassle), I get moody.. >:(

(I'd rather do my stuff in surround sound)

frank_p

I sometimes run in four amps at the same time, two have little delay between them and the two others have just a bit of stereo chorus.

earthtonesaudio

A fun little trick is to have your "main" rig, and then slave out to a little practice amp, pointing in a different direction.  With the right sized room and good reflections, it can make a much larger sound than the big amp alone.

The few times I've done this I was really impressed with the impression of big-ness.

Radamus

Quote from: Joe Hart on October 21, 2008, 11:15:26 AM
I run my guitar into various pedals, then at the end into a Boss stereo chorus that splits the signal and then into a Boss stereo delay. So my signal is really just split at the end and really only to widen the sound. I have the chorus set pretty mellow. So, it's not like I make HUGE use of stereo imaging or ping-ponging or panning or anything. It just makes the guitar bigger.

I'm curious how many people actually run complete stereo. I would say that there's probably a big difference between playing into two amps and having each pickup fed into a different amp. I know Rickenbacker basses have stereo capabilities (each pickup). Any body do this, or is it just too much of a pain when it comes to effects?

I had a long think about stereo when I found out about the Rickenbacker thing. I also knew that it would be relatively easy to make that mod on any guitar (add a tone control and a jack). I'm only using a 112 watt (I think) amp right now, which isn't too terribly much for a bass, so I decided it made no sense for me to consider it any more right now.

StephenGiles

Guitar - Rat - Yamaha SPX50 set to early reflection, this gives a wonderful stereo spread and at the volume I have it through headphones, all other noise (including my wife shouting up the stairs that dinner is ready!!) is cut out. To my ears, it simulates playing through a couple of loud Marshall stacks - having reached up to plug in of course!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

DiamondDog

It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

Rodgre

Over the years, my live rig has gone from super-stereo to single amp and now back to simple 2-amp stereo and probably next to a combination stereo.

To clarify, right now, I've been playing through two amps; a Fender '63 Vibroverb RI and a Roland JC77, fed from the stereo outs of my Line 6 DL-4. The Roland is more for a stage wash, and the Vibroverb is mic'd to the PA. For bigger shows, I swap out an AC30 for the Vibroverb.

I've used the Fender Satellite with my Blues Deville once or twice to get spatial stereo effects as well.

My next move might be to have a separate pedalboard with delays and reverb sent to another amp on stage. This would be fed from a volume pedal, so basically I can keep a drier, more focused sound coming out of my main amp and have a big swirling mess coming from the secondary amp.

Roger

Xavier

I've been playing with 2 amps since 15 yrs ago. Nowadays it's 2x Randall RG200G3 combos.

I love chorus and pan delays, so it's a no brainer. There's no way I would go back to mono now, sounds much more spread and open....almost breathing

DOwnside to it is that whenever I check for new amps I always must think list price x2  :icon_neutral:

DougH

Quote from: Radamus on October 23, 2008, 03:55:02 AM
Quote from: Joe Hart on October 21, 2008, 11:15:26 AM

I'm curious how many people actually run complete stereo. I would say that there's probably a big difference between playing into two amps and having each pickup fed into a different amp. I know Rickenbacker basses have stereo capabilities (each pickup). Any body do this, or is it just too much of a pain when it comes to effects?

I had a long think about stereo when I found out about the Rickenbacker thing. I also knew that it would be relatively easy to make that mod on any guitar (add a tone control and a jack). I'm only using a 112 watt (I think) amp right now, which isn't too terribly much for a bass, so I decided it made no sense for me to consider it any more right now.

Yeah, but then when you switch to only one pickup it comes out mono right?  I wouldn't want that...

Running with two amps even with no "stereoification" due to fx still produces a bigger fatter sound, esp with distortion. I think the ultimate "stereo fx" sound (besides delay) is using a pitch-shifter for a slight detune. I use my PS-5 detune function or HOG (with the expr pedal slightly pushed in "whammy" mode) for that effect.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

frequencycentral

Anyone into Leslie effects? Or stereo tremolo? Or stereo vibrato? Or stereo ping pong delay?
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

jacobyjd

I've used 2 amps for some stereo delay on stage a couple times, but I haven't really gone back to it--like most people say, it's just not worth carrying around 2 80lb amps just to get 'that' sound.

If someone carries my gear for me, I'll play in stereo all the time  :icon_biggrin:
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net