That old 50's combos sound...

Started by Blues_Boy_4096, October 23, 2008, 08:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blues_Boy_4096

Hi!

I'm after thet old 50's combos sound, 5E3, single ended small combos, etc.
I've listened to the samples of the Lovepedal Vintage Valve (http://www.lovepedal.com/vintage_valve.htm) and really liked them...

Any suggestions of where to start to get similar sounds?

Thanks

Arn C.

Man, gotta like those sound bites!!!!!   I also would like to make one of these!

Peace!
Arn C.

Boogdish

Check out Professor Tweed, I haven't built it yet, but it's a basically a tweed Princeton in a stompbox.

http://www.runoffgroove.com/professor.html

You should check out some of the other runoffgroove projects as well and their article on using FETs to replace tubes.

Dragonfly

Well, the "Woodrow (5E3)" part is easy enough... it's a modified Electra circuit

build a Electra OD with .047 input cap, 3.3k collector to V+ resistor, 2.2meg resistor from base to collector, 330 ohm and 47uf from emitter to ground, 0.1uf output cap, 2 1N914 diodes to ground on the end. 2N5088 transistor and a 500k volume pot finish it up.

Depending on the amp you are using you might swap the 330 ohm / 47u pair for a 1k resistor and play with the input caps value.

Personally I don't think it sounds much like a "cranked tweed Fender", but it IS a nice simple OD that sounds decent.

The clips on the LP site sound nice.

ppatchmods

They also have the professor tweed kits on olcircuits.com It sounds pretty good.
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

Ben N

The Snarling Dogs Tweed-E-Dog was supposed to do this, and that was just Yet Another Tweaked Tube Sound Fuzz, so I imagine there is something you can do with a CMOS chip (smallish input cap, 2-inverter distortion with low-med gain) to get into this territory.
  • SUPPORTER

DougH

There's an interesting ratty quality to the distortion in those lovepedal clips. That's what gives it that "old time tube combo" sound IMO. For some reason I'm thinking there must be a way of doing that with diodes. Or it could be as simple as the way some transistor distortion is getting filtered. Maybe it's the way the bass is/is-not getting de-emphasized before clipping. Or maybe look at the STM speaker clipping simulator thing (SSS) for clues- maybe that's where I've heard this sound before (other than from amps).

I gotta hand it to that guy- he puts up some good sounding clips and that sells pedals.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."