Suggestion for a distortion...?

Started by Evad Nomenclature, October 31, 2008, 04:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evad Nomenclature

Hey guys.

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a distortion for me to build...
A buddy of mine is looking for a pedal that is sort of like the BOR, but wants just a touch more distortion than that.
I've built (and have) A TS, a Llama, and an Electra Dist, and he isn't huge fans of any of those (for what he's looking for anyway)

Any suggestions of a non fuzz type dist that might match this?
thanks

Edit: I should mention that I'm looking to do it on PCB, and I recently starting etching my own, so preferably something that has a PCB layout that I can dig out =)
Evad Nomenclature III
Master of Dolphin Technologies

DSV

Box of Rock is Marshallish, isn't it? The you can check for the:
:icon_idea: Thor (I haven't built it, so I can't say much about it)
:icon_idea: BSIAB II, which is a superb pedal. It has tons of gain available, and the tone control is the same as in the BOR (I think Zvex copied it from the BSIAB).

Zben3129

earthtonesaudio

DS-1
MXR Dist +
Mark Hammer's "Chaos"
Any of the Joe Davisson stuff (Blackfire, Vulcan, etc)
2 Electra distortions in series... with a tone control.

Quote from: DSV on October 31, 2008, 05:13:42 PM
Box of Rock is Marshallish, isn't it? The you can check for the:
:icon_idea: Thor (I haven't built it, so I can't say much about it)
:icon_idea: BSIAB II, which is a superb pedal. It has tons of gain available, and the tone control is the same as in the BOR (I think Zvex copied it from the BSIAB).

BOR is nearly identical to BSIAB but with the SHO gain stages instead of Mu-amp gain stages.  Mix and match and you can have BSIABOR or even a BORIAB.

96ecss

The Hot Silicon is a great Distortion pedal. It has replaced my BSIAB2 as my favorite Distortion. I still love my BSIAB2, I just like this better. Give it a try, your friend won't be disappointed. Just about every one of my guitar playing friends likes this pedal more than the BSIAB2. The Fat switch makes it great for single coil and humbucker guitars. I turn it on with my Strat and off with my SG and 335.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Daves-Layouts/Hot+Silicon.gif.html

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Daves-Layouts/Hot+Silicon+PnP.gif.html

Dave

Evad Nomenclature

Thanks guys!  ;D
I'll do some breadboarding tomorrow and see what's up!
Evad Nomenclature III

Evad Nomenclature

Anyone have a BSIAB pcb layout or a link to one?
didn't see it in the schematics section or the gallery.
thanks again
Evad Nomenclature III

Mich P

Evad Nomenclature

Evad Nomenclature III