Anyone ever use EZPCB for board manufacturing?

Started by Taylor, November 01, 2008, 11:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

These guys have really intrigued me.

ezpcb.com

They are pretty cheap for a run of 10, and they apparently will fill your board in with passive components (up to 200) and fully assemble one board for you.

Anyone have any experience with these guys?

Zben3129

I was just messing around with the calculator and chose all the default settings, with a 2x3" board chosen, and 10 boards came out to be approx $158. The price for 100 boards came out to $167. If your gonna do 10, you might as well do 100, or 200. The setup cost of 100 and shipping cost of 50 is the whole price, the boards cost almost nothing.

10 boards for $158, each board would be $15.80
100 boards for $167, each board would be $1.67

Zach

Evad Nomenclature

+1

I was messing with that too... I would say it seems like a very good thing for someone who wants to make a small run for sales of a designed circuit.
And yes, the cost differencial is negligable once you start doing larger runs.
Thanks for pointing it out.  It might be a service I use in the future.
Evad Nomenclature III
Master of Dolphin Technologies

Ice-9

Iv'e been looking at www.pcbcart.com . it seems quite a bit cheaper and also looks good. Does anyone have any dealings with these
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Taylor

Well, for pure cheapness, Futurlec is actually cheaper. I was mostly just curious about them populating your boards for you...

Taylor

Just an update in case anyone is searching for these guys in the future: I had my boards made, and they came out beautifully, but they were unable to give me any components or populate a board for me, so don't consider that freebie if you're comparing PCB fabbers.

Cliff Schecht

Quote from: Taylor on January 27, 2009, 07:34:16 PM
Just an update in case anyone is searching for these guys in the future: I had my boards made, and they came out beautifully, but they were unable to give me any components or populate a board for me, so don't consider that freebie if you're comparing PCB fabbers.

Having parts mounted and soldered to a PCB is quite the labor intensive task. For low production volume, especially with thru-hole components, it's quite expensive because of all of the special tooling required.

Ice-9

Quote from: Cliff Schecht on January 27, 2009, 08:49:06 PM
Quote from: Taylor on January 27, 2009, 07:34:16 PM

Having parts mounted and soldered to a PCB is quite the labor intensive task. For low production volume, especially with thru-hole components, it's quite expensive because of all of the special tooling required.

Any chance you can upload a picture of the pcbs that you got back so we can see the quality please.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

DougH

Those aren't bad prices. And getting the board fab'ed and drilled is worth it to me. I can populate them myself. That's the easy part. :icon_wink:

Thanks for the links!
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

StereoKills

Quote from: Cliff Schecht on January 27, 2009, 08:49:06 PM

It looks to me like the populated boards need to be SMD, not thru-hole. That makes it pretty easy, reflow oven anyone? :) Heck, if I'm going to order custom PCB's anyway, I'd go with SMD since it's more compact, neater and in my opinion, easier to work with.
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

rogerray

I have heard nothing but good words of them. We worked with them for a few years.

Maybe EzPCB is not the cheapest, but for serious projects they are the best, highly recommend. :icon_razz:

Don't know how to post a picture here or I will show you our ARM-9 boards fabricated and assemblied by them.

Ray

Taylor

Hey Ray, I do appreciate that advice, it's only a few years too late!  :)

Since then I've had lots of boards made by them. Got a big box today, in fact. Have no complaints.