A, B, A+B in a rotary switch? Please help!

Started by sjaltenb, November 03, 2008, 07:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

Hello..

Looking for a way to wire two compressors to a single switch to select:

1)CS2
2)Dynacomp
3)CS2+Dynacomp

I know I can accomplish this by splitting the input signals to each comp, splitting the outputs of each and mixing the two together for the 3rd option,(thanks Auke!)  but i'd like to see if i can do it without buffers and mixers...

I know I could do on/off DPDTs for each but I would really prefer a single rotary switch. Any help with this would be very much appreciated! Thanks!!

PS...this entire loop will go to a true bypass switch for complete compression ON/OFF. Dont worry about LEDs. Thanks!

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: gigimarga on November 04, 2008, 01:27:28 AM
Look at the schematic from here: http://buildyourownclone.com/atinstructions.pdf
If I understand correctly that is not what he is looking for.

Armstrong Twin offers:
1) A
2) B
3) A-> B
(so not A plus B, but in series)

Andre

You could try this:

Switch position 1:CS-2
Switch position 2:Dynacomp
Switch position 3:Both parallel

I think Smallbear has the appropriate rotary switch.

André

sjaltenb

thanks guys, I posted something on BYOC's board, maybe they can help me debug the armstrong twin. yes i am looking for the CS2 to go INTO the dynacomp, so, in series.

thanks!

Barcode80

Quote from: Andre on November 04, 2008, 09:48:01 AM
You could try this:

Switch position 3:Both parallel

I think Smallbear has the appropriate rotary switch.

André

aside from not addressing the OP's actual needs (one running INTO the other), this also will screw with your input impedance.

Andre

Quoteaside from not addressing the OP's actual needs (one running INTO the other), this also will screw with your input impedance.

Actually I think I was  addressing his needs ;)

QuoteI know I can accomplish this by splitting the input signals to each comp, splitting the outputs of each and mixing the two together for the 3rd option,(thanks Auke!)  but i'd like to see if i can do it without buffers and mixers...

Here he  talks about mixing the two together.
This sounds like using 2 effects in parallel to me.

Furthermore i'm not too worried about the imput impedance too.
CS-2 has a FET input, so input impedance will be a couple megaohms.
Dynacomp has a 1M input impedance.
So in parallel mode the input impedance will only drop a bit.

André

Andre

Quote from: sjaltenb on November 05, 2008, 07:08:03 PM
thanks guys, I posted something on BYOC's board, maybe they can help me debug the armstrong twin. yes i am looking for the CS2 to go INTO the dynacomp, so, in series.

thanks!

So in series it is:

Switch position 3:Cs-2 and Dynacomp in series

Barcode80

thanks!

Andre

Quote from: Barcode80 on November 06, 2008, 08:58:27 AM

thanks!

???  Not quite sure what you mean with this quote

Barcode80

oh sorry, i should have been more clear. I was just pointing out that he mentioned that he wanted them in series, not parallel. sorry for the confusion! :)

Andre

No, problem  :)

I was a little confused because sjaltenb's reply about wanting them in series was posted only after I posted my parallel version.

sjaltenb

thanks guys! sorry for the confusion! now to go wire it up....