tremulus lune.. opinions please !!

Started by 1878, November 06, 2008, 02:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello Everyone.

I'd like to build a Tremulus Lune, but I don't know what version to build !?!? I know I don't want any external controllers or the extra LFO, so they can be discarded for this particular project, but there's a few other things to be considered. What's worked best for you, what would you change etc ??

A few specific questions:

I built my own LED/LDR combo for my Uglyface build. Would I be ok doing the same for this or do I need specific parts/values ??
Is this a negative or positive ground effect ??
Is there any benefit in substituting the trimmer for a pot and using it as another external control ??
Can the pulsing LED be removed without any detriment to the effect ??

Hope these questions aren't too simple, but I thought I'd ask before I wasted money on parts I don't need.

Thanks in advance.

GREEN FUZ

First off it`s a great trem with plenty of variables.

For my build I left out the fine speed and substituted a pot for the symmetry switch.

I suspect you`d be alright making your own vactrol. The one I used wasn`t the recommended unit and averything appears to be fine.
It`s Negative ground.
The trimmer is a volume control which I chose to leave as an internal control. The idea being you set it and forget it. The benefits of mounting it externally are obvious in that you don`t need to open the enclosure should you choose to alter the relative volume.
I believe you could dispense with the flashing LED without impacting performance but then you wouldn`t have the cool blinking light  :icon_smile:.

The Iron Chef

I built mine using the great, simple layout as provided to us on Tonepad http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=42.
I could not get the listed vactrol to work so i made my own. Very simple and cheaper than a vactrol too!  I used a water clear red led and a photocell http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=711 with the proper light/dark values. (cant remember). I machined a small tube from black delrin and it worked very well. You could use black tape at a minimum. I used all component values as listed.  I did the sawtooth mod listed on the commondsound.com site. I etched my own board.

hth
-Keith
-Keith
I build stuff everyday.

Thanks for the replies...

You've helped make my mind up.

I'll build another vactrol. I bought two of them for the Uglyface and neither of them worked.
I'd wanted to substitute the fine control for the symmetry, so I'll do that.
I'll use an external gain pot.
I'll add the sawtooth mod too.
I'll leave the flashing LED in. I was worried about enclosure spacing with the extra knob and switch.

I don't have the facilities to make my own PCB's so I usually build on perfboard, but, I can't find a layout. I'll probably end up buying a PCB and populating it myself. Has anyone got any experience with the commercial boards available ??

Thanks again.

Valoosj

It's great that you're building the Tremulus Lune. It's a very cool pedal and I have built 4 so far with all the mods possible.
If you really want a pcb and can't get one, I can always make you one at a decent price. In fact, I might even have on lying around. Just pm me and we'll discuss the price if you're in for one.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

petemoore

Built it. Used it. Listened to recordings I used the one I built on.
  Need to build another !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

solderman

Hi
This is my favo Trem. I Had a really good sounding T-rex Trem that i sold after I made this one.

I made my own LED/LDR (bright red LED) in a shrink tube.

Use the project files from  http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/ and I recommend the rap up down mod cause it makes it even more versatile. I used a two collore (red/green) LED switched by the 3DP stompsitch. flashing red when bypassed and green when connected. this way I can allways see and keep controll over the LFO speed in the dark on the stage before I stomp on the switch  :icon_biggrin:
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)