new lm386 cascading pedal

Started by Ansil, September 23, 2003, 12:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ansil

www.geocities.com/austenfantanio/classical

this is the new pedal i have been working on. when i get home i should be able to do some clips.  right now i am in savannah ga looking for work so it could be a while.  

i have also been working on my version of the little gem amplifier, i have managed to pull about four and a half watts out of it.  

i have utilized four lm386's  two for cascading gain with an lpb1 pushing it for extra crunch and to help bring up the input inpedance.  driving a standard marshall eq circuit. splits into two 386's to act as phase inverters then driving two lm380's. and yes you need to heat sink these. it helps to heat sink the last two 386's  (i cut one in half and used it on the two 386's) works well.  i am thinking of putting in a fan.  no batteries though it tends to eat those. it will rock a twelve inch speaker no problem it does nice on my buddys four ten speaker cabinet. haven't tried a four twelve yet.  there is also a switch on the inverter section to go from onehundred to two hundred gain, which will no doubt drive the the 380's harder and clip themselves..   well gotta go to bed now.  see ya.

Nasse

Did you use sockets for i.c. s or did you solder them to circuit board? Someone asked days ago about 386 and sockets and I looked info at my old National Semiconductor book. At 380 section it said it helps cooling if you solder it to circuit board, and there was some pic of heat sink attached on 380. There was few pages missing at 386 section, but I believe it may be somewhat same animal
  • SUPPORTER

Mike Nichting

Hey Ansil,
now that you are here can you tell me what the "something to mess with your mind" pedal does?? I saw it on Munky's site and it looks cool.

Did you ever get that Boss pedal shell that I sent you??

Good to hear from you again~!!

Mike nichting
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

Marcos - Munky

Cool circuit, Ansil. I will try it after I finish some effects (and the something to mess..., the first in my list). I didn't heard the clips, but I will hear today. And I will send the board today too.

sirkut

Ansil, I live in Savannah, what sort of work are you looking for?

Ansil

well the somehting to mess with your mind, is basically an oscialator that i forgot to show some pots or resistors controlling the loop from the germaniums.  basically it is this.  your guitar freq. is split high and low.  i dont' remmber the exact freq off of the top of my head.  normally using both a positive and a negative side of an opamp would cross out the freq all together. but since you are amplifiying two different ranges it is a little different.  also we are taking the output of the amplifier in my case a lm386 and feeding it into two germaniums.  turned different ways for cross over distortion.  but we are sending one to the negative loop and one to the positive.  so we are clipping one side of the wave wich contains all the freqencys now and sending it back to be cut and we are clipping the other side of the wave and sending it back to the positive amplifier to be amplified more.  obviously this needs to have a pot to control how much signal is done what to. or it will oscialate forever.  

on the cascading 386's  i breadboarded it.  munky i believe said he made a board and  i will use ic sockets when i get it.  casue i like the military grade cousin of the 386's(slightly stronger slightly morepowerfull and the same pinout.!!!!) unfortuenately i only have one. and i don't know how to get more, or even what the numbers but my uncle is looking into it for me.

if it gets too hot i will put a heat sink on the 386's i have in the past and had good results with it.  but it will probally not be needed.  i will have to check.  

sorry mike i haven't recieved te boss case you sent.  do you have some sort of tracking no.   i don't know why but i am told alot of things have been ending up at the dead letter office in atlanta ga.  thats what the post office has told me.   usally they  send it back to the sender but if they can't make out the address or whatnot they just ship it to dead letter office.  i have a better address now. if it comes back to you.  someone also said they sent me a guvnor board. but i haven't recieved it either. hmmmmmmmm   oh well.  :)

Mike Nichting

Hey Ansil,
I sent the case a long time ago. I don't have the little tracking paper anymore and I find they aren't worth a crap untill it is delivered anyway.
If it happens to come back I will get a hold of you for your new address.

best of luck Ansil~!!! :-)

Mike Nichting
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: Ansilwell the somehting to mess with your mind, is basically an oscialator that i forgot to show some pots or resistors controlling the loop from the germaniums.
Hey Ansil, could you post the schematic with the pots and resistors?

Ansil

i will try.  all is, is a pot connected from the outpu to the germanium feedback loop.  and one connected from the output to the germanium going to the negative feedback loop.

Marcos - Munky

Ansil

anyhing from 10k to one meg it is up to you.

Marcos - Munky