Tone Pot Debug

Started by aChorusofJays, November 14, 2008, 07:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aChorusofJays

I just finished putting my first pedal together today, a La Rata Distortion per Tonepad with the help of an electronics friend. Once we put it together, it failed our innitial testing on a couple of levels...

I fixed the loose solder joints on a couple capacitors, so the signal is now constant. Here's my main problem...

The 'Filter' pot is not having any affect whatsoever. The volume also drops when engaged. I only have a multimeter at this point, and I'm getting Ohm readings from '3' and '2' and also from '2' and '1'. Not sure if that helps. I'm very new to electronics, so I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants here. Here is the link to the layout. http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=89

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. Is it possible I killed my pot somehow?

FYI, I'm using all the components as stated in the layout, 100KA Pots. I'm liking the sound of the distortion so far, I just need that extra Tone (and volume) and I should be good to go! Would love to wrap this up this weekend.

Thanks guys!

oskar

There's a 3n3 cap after the1k5 resistor. Check connection/soldering.

aChorusofJays

I'm an idiot. I bought a 2N5458 jFET from smallbear, and they sent me a 2N5139. So I put the 39 in without really looking (because I'm that new), and now I'm reading the part # on the side and going "Oooooooooh". Thanks for the suggestion though Oskar, I'll put some pictures of the pedal up on the pictures thread when it's done!

oskar

New in business or not you solved it. Which is satisfying if any...    :)
I'm glad it worked out for you.