Futurlec pots pc mount only???

Started by ianmgull, November 18, 2008, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianmgull

So after sending an email to the sales staff at Futurlec it turns out they only carry PC mount pots now. I prefer solder terminals so I guess I'm out of luck for ridiculously cheap pots. Does anyone know anywhere else that ships to the US that comes even close to $.50 for 16mm alpha pots??? 

bluesdevil

Easy to fix, just take a pair of pliers and bend the lugs back.... works out great!! My problem is that it's hard to sit set screw type knobs on them straight.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

mikemaddux

I have a supply of the same pots...  They seem to be working well with the lugs bent back.  I dont mount them to the board, I just solder the wires to the little tab.  Not my preferance but works in a pinch and for the price......
Completed Builds: A lot...

sickbend

how many do you have to order to get them for .050 cents each?

cpm

Quote from: sickbend on November 18, 2008, 04:11:57 AM

for $.0005 you'll have to buy the chinese factory, i guess.

mikemaddux

Quote from: sickbend on November 18, 2008, 04:11:57 AM

they are 55 cents each
25+       50 cents each
100+     45 cents each

http://www.futurlec.com/PotRot.shtml

"potrot" hehe

sickbend

davent

With pots  like those you can always slip the wire through the rivet whole up near the body and solder it in.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Zben3129

^I used to do that, but switched to bending the tabs back, this is why: Sometimes if you aren't careful or are unlucky you will have a lug short to the body. This is obviously a problem if you have more than 1 lug shorting to the body, or if the body shorts to the enclosure. When you bend the pins this doesn't happen.

Zach

ianmgull

yeah, I might just have to deal with it. For 55 cents each I can't be all that picky.

timehawk

I just bought a bunch of stuff from there.  Anyone know the quality of the pots?  They do seem too good to be true.....

Sipping is taking forever but they have a great selection of caps, resistors, diodes and ICs.

audioguy

I've bought tons from them... I would say they're pretty good. I rarely get a bad pot in the bunch. Now I will say that I DO NOT test each one, so they might not be within normal spec range, but I dont HEAR any problems with the vast majority of them.
I would imagine they are somehow getting factory seconds or something to have them that cheap.

foxfire

Quote from: bluesdevil on November 18, 2008, 12:44:37 AM
Easy to fix, just take a pair of pliers and bend the lugs back.... works out great!! My problem is that it's hard to sit set screw type knobs on them straight.

if i remember correctly i think that if you turn them so that the lugs are to the side rather than up or down and, you line the knobs set screw up with the split in the shaft it will hold better and it lines up/centers the knob for you.
rylan

Zben3129

Quote from: timehawk on November 19, 2008, 03:07:55 PM
I just bought a bunch of stuff from there.  Anyone know the quality of the pots?  They do seem too good to be true.....

Sipping is taking forever but they have a great selection of caps, resistors, diodes and ICs.

For me its the "first order" that takes the longest with them. My first order took 15 buisness days, and all my other orders after took 6-9 days (using the same email address). Then, I switched emails and my first order with the new email took 12 and the rest afterwards took 6-9 again. Could be coincidence, not sure. My only beef with their shipping is that they don't notify you if a part is backordered. If you don't get an "order despatch" email within a few days it might be a good idea to email them and ask them about the order. If you ask they will send the order minus the backordered parts and send those parts once they come in. Also, just because it says it is in stock on the site doesn't mean it is, both times I had this issue it was because a part was listed as in but was on order. But that was 2 out of 25+ orders. And they mess up occasionally but if you email them they will ship you replacements ASAP no questions asked. Great company if you ask me.

Zach

mikemaddux

They do take a while to ship, my last (first) order took about 20 days. 

Great for stocking the bench, but not for that gotta-have-it-right-now part.

The parts bags dont come labeled either, so get ready to fire up the DMM, if needed.

Evad Nomenclature

Quote from: mikemaddux on November 20, 2008, 01:32:03 AM
They do take a while to ship, my last (first) order took about 20 days. 

Great for stocking the bench, but not for that gotta-have-it-right-now part.

The parts bags dont come labeled either, so get ready to fire up the DMM, if needed.

They may have started to do that.
I got a grab bag of trannies and caps from them like 3 weeks ago and they were all labeled.  I actually forgot I had ordered them and ripped into the order and was like "wtf?  i don't remember ordering all of these!?" ^_^

Anyway, the grab bags are great for the price... I actually just put in another order about a week ago that I am waiting for and I ordered another grab bag of caps as well as a grab bag of IC's...
I'm really curious about the IC's... it was $4.95 for 50 IC's... who knows how many there will be that i can actually use, but I'll find out soon enough... I figured even if I use 5 out of the bunch its pretty much worth it.
Evad Nomenclature III
Master of Dolphin Technologies

jacobyjd

I just ordered a mess o' pots for a project after seeing this thread--I got my order dispatch stating that my order has been shipped today. I'll try to let you know when I receive it. They say 7-10 days.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

sockeye

If you happen to have scraps of Veroboard lying around you can solder a 2x3 piece onto the pc mount pots and have nice little pads to connect to. Just one other option...