first project that might make it to a box when to stop?

Started by sickbend, November 18, 2008, 03:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sickbend

This is my first build that might make it to a box I finally got things sorted out and I'm learning a ton along the way very fun stuff. but when do you go ok enough is enough lets box this up already? this started as a simple dod 250 clone and I think I'm wanting to go way overboard on it I've seen way overboard pedals before and I'm a huge control freak. being a studio guy im supprised I havent tried to make this a rack mount device, but here it goes this dod 250 /mxr distortion plus thing has a lot of options

what I've done is put the germanium diodes d1 and d2 on a switch lifting ground so I guess it can be a clean boost or a distortion but I've also added a zenier in the feedback loop when I disengage the hard clipping diodes there is a huge volume jump so I'm debating putting a trim pot that comes on only when the diodes are taken out of the circuit so the levels are similar kind of like a ts - 9 hot switch in reverse. then I thought I should make it a pot and put a second stomp switch so that you can have cleaner tube distortion or a hot lead with a small sacrfifice on total volume so all and all I could see this getting massive when do you say enough is enough?

my final version in my head is 3 stomp switches one for overdrive one for distortion and one for clean boost which requires a second volume pot 2 tone controls I'm thinking big muff style and two more switches one for the hot distortion one for the overdrive/clean boost all on 1 pedal thats what 5 knobs 3 stomp switches and 2 toggle switches to much?

that should allow a single pedal to be used as a clean boost a clean trebel boost a tube like distortion with or without tone control or a heavier overdrive with or without tone control any thoughts?

or should I go for a simpler version 1 stomp switch and 2 switches a trim pot to level volumes and a single tone control for both overdrive tube drive and clean boost? that would be like a dod250 a tube drive and a mxr micro amp on one pedal with tone control that can be switched in and out

thats not to shabby for a first build either i think  :icon_biggrin: 

mikemaddux

Wow, nice first project...  What kind of case is it going in?  any graphics in mind?

Where did you find the germanium diodes? 
Completed Builds: A lot...

sickbend

I think ill take a stab at simplicity and go with a plain black box hammond style  and cover it up with a vinyl decal of some sort something electro harmonix does now with there  nano and mini pedals minus the paint  ;) germanium diodes came from a old local shop the guys sell tons of new old stock stuff from the 70s and so forth have a large selection of orange drop and tropical fish caps to very mojo friendly  ;D   

mikemaddux

Right on, Simple is good.  ;D

My first 2 builds were just circuit bent noise boxes and I just used a plastic box, printer paper, scissors, and a glue stick!

Keep it up man, show us some pics when its ready!

sasuke_kun12

If you want crazy, then go all out and put in switch to go from symmetrical clipping to asym. On my disto+ I've stacked 2 741's and I've added a switch to it so I can short out the second 741.
I declare BANKCRUPTCY!

runmikeyrun

here's a link to some really neat ideas on how to manipulate your diode clipping:

http://www.muzique.com/lab/warp.htm

Also multiple diode selection on a rotary switch is cool, if you have the space on your board to do it.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

asfastasdark

Quote from: sickbend on November 18, 2008, 04:36:36 AM
I think ill take a stab at simplicity and go with a plain black box hammond style  and cover it up with a vinyl decal of some sort something electro harmonix does now with there  nano and mini pedals minus the paint  ;) germanium diodes came from a old local shop the guys sell tons of new old stock stuff from the 70s and so forth have a large selection of orange drop and tropical fish caps to very mojo friendly  ;D   

Seriously? Where is it located, and do they have a site? And how much do they sell tropical fish for, and bumblebees or other mojo parts, if they have them?

sickbend

QuoteSeriously? Where is it located, and do they have a site? And how much do they sell tropical fish for, and bumblebees or other mojo parts, if they have them?

no site I don't think and there prices arn't great unless they have a huge bulk like a full cardboard box then caps are like .20 cents each or 15.00 for 100  its in huntsville alabama the sticks  :D i just bought let me see 3 orange drops .001 .001 and .082 68 cents each  2 mallory metal film caps .0047  68 cents and 20 .01 metalized film caps 10 cents each for about 6 dollars  they have transistors there the old metal capped ones for 20 cents each not bad but for some things but a lot of digging

sickbend

runmikeyrun  thanks for that i just added it to my favorites I will look over it tomorrow I've been trying to simplify things when working on a pedal I catch myself doing things like building the biased power supply and the clipping diode sections and even tone controls as seperate boards module kind of things and just plugging things in and playing with values anyone else do this?

sickbend

one more quick question I dont have a capacitance meter yet is there any kind of calculator for ceramics and what not where I can punch in the code and it pops out the value that would be sweet 

timehawk

If you google capacitor codes there are some that will let you punch it in and get the value.  Ive tried a couple and they work sometimes lol.

bassmasta17

Quote from: mikemaddux on November 18, 2008, 04:48:14 AM
Right on, Simple is good.  ;D

My first 2 builds were just circuit bent noise boxes and I just used a plastic box, printer paper, scissors, and a glue stick!

Keep it up man, show us some pics when its ready!

love the dodo graphics
is that a radioshack box??
thats how we do it in the village!  :icon_lol:
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

mikemaddux

That is a radio shack plastic box....  look close and look for the electrical tape covering where I screwed up the holes.

Ghetto style old school circuit bending!

bassmasta17

dang you used electrical tape...  you must live in the rich ghetto. in mine we just use masking tape (if we can find it) :icon_lol:
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com