Help on decision for speaker sim

Started by cb951303, November 21, 2008, 06:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb951303

Hello,

I'm in a need of speaker/cab simulator and a DI box.

Heres my dilemma: I can buy one these: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-GI100-UltraG-DI-Box?sku=150934
Or I can build a LXH2 speaker sim and get a cheaper DI box.

Did anyone try LXH2 before? How does it sound? Is it any better than behringer's cab sim?

Thank you

DougH

Can't comment on the Behringer but I know some people swear by it, esp for the price.

IMO the full-blown LXH2 speaker sim is overkill, but the "LXH2-Lite" would be a feasible project. (I'm not sure which one you were referring to.)

If by "DI box" you mean something that converts from the high impedance of the guitar pickups to the low impedance needed to plug into a console- just about any of the DIY speaker sim circuits you see will accomplish that. Most of these circuits use op amp based active filters and will drive plenty of current for direct injection into a line level input. They may or may not be technically "line level" with respect to voltage amplitude (1v p-p?? Can't remember) but they have enough of a low impedance drive to work just fine.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

dschwartz

may i recommend my baby?

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=70445.0

it´s an adjustable cabinet simulator..i love it..
you can add an extra dual opamp to make a balanced output..
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

cb951303

Quote from: DougH on November 21, 2008, 07:33:01 AM
Can't comment on the Behringer but I know some people swear by it, esp for the price.

IMO the full-blown LXH2 speaker sim is overkill, but the "LXH2-Lite" would be a feasible project. (I'm not sure which one you were referring to.)

If by "DI box" you mean something that converts from the high impedance of the guitar pickups to the low impedance needed to plug into a console- just about any of the DIY speaker sim circuits you see will accomplish that. Most of these circuits use op amp based active filters and will drive plenty of current for direct injection into a line level input. They may or may not be technically "line level" with respect to voltage amplitude (1v p-p?? Can't remember) but they have enough of a low impedance drive to work just fine.

Currently I use IR cab sim softwares and I find them really really close to the real thing but recently I decided not to depend on a computer since its not portable hence I need a decent cab sim. I don't care if it's versatile or not. Only 1 working cab sim is enough :) For the price of behringer I'm just not sure if it's worth to spend time and money on a lxh2-lite build :) what would you do?

Also thanks for the DI info

cb951303

Quote from: dschwartz on November 21, 2008, 07:39:52 AM
may i recommend my baby?

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=70445.0

it´s an adjustable cabinet simulator..i love it..
you can add an extra dual opamp to make a balanced output..

Great project. Sound samples are good. Do you sell pcbs?

cb951303

DougH

Quote from: cb951303 on November 21, 2008, 08:07:53 AM

Currently I use IR cab sim softwares and I find them really really close to the real thing but recently I decided not to depend on a computer since its not portable hence I need a decent cab sim.

I've heard a lot of good things about IR models and that is supposedly the way to go with speaker sims. If not already, I would think at some point someone would build one of these that fits in a box, maybe via DSP or etc. The Behringer unit and all these diy circuits are just analog active EQs that mimic speaker freq response curves. They are pretty simple in comparison.

And I forgot, with DI if you are looking for balanced line operation that will require a little more work but Daniel included that in his project.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

cb951303

http://www.richardbrice.net/hot_lamp.htm

anyone tried this? sound samples are perfect. better than any diy speaker sim that I listened so far ...

cb951303

It's hard to believe a small circuit like this would do such a great job and not heard by anyone here :) ? I'm starting to think I got it wrong. This is a traditional speaker simulator right? the one that you place between a preamp and mixer?

jonjon

john

dschwartz

Quote from: cb951303 on November 23, 2008, 04:50:02 PM
It's hard to believe a small circuit like this would do such a great job and not heard by anyone here :) ? I'm starting to think I got it wrong. This is a traditional speaker simulator right? the one that you place between a preamp and mixer?

nope.. as i see..the input is the speaker output of an amp..then it goes to the mixer.
Tubes are overrated!!

cb951303

Quote from: dschwartz on November 24, 2008, 07:50:24 AM
Quote from: cb951303 on November 23, 2008, 04:50:02 PM

nope.. as i see..the input is the speaker output of an amp..then it goes to the mixer.

it's the same thing  ::)  what I meant was this circuit actually replaces a speaker cab right? have you listened to the sample, i found them very realistic, what about you?

alfafalfa

And there's a warning that if you blow the lamp  your amp is without a load : so you're in for big trouble !

Alf

cb951303

Quote from: alfafalfa on November 24, 2008, 12:58:09 PM
And there's a warning that if you blow the lamp  your amp is without a load : so you're in for big trouble !

Alf

yup, I'm gonna use it between my preamp (basically an effect chain) and speakers so I don't have to worry about load problems...

BTW, I've just received service docs of Red Box Classic from H & K. This is a speaker simulator/DI box. The service documents have the full schematics and a ready to solder PCB layout  ;D so I may go with it for the sake of laziness. I also heard its a pretty decent speaker sim...

dschwartz

Quote from: cb951303 on November 24, 2008, 02:24:40 PM
Quote from: alfafalfa on November 24, 2008, 12:58:09 PM

Alf

yup, I'm gonna use it between my preamp (basically an effect chain) and speakers so I don't have to worry about load problems...

BTW, I've just received service docs of Red Box Classic from H & K. This is a speaker simulator/DI box. The service documents have the full schematics and a ready to solder PCB layout  ;D so I may go with it for the sake of laziness. I also heard its a pretty decent speaker sim...

i´m not sure if it will work with a preamp output..it´s a different thing...
Tubes are overrated!!