Tonepad DS-1 Question

Started by solarplexus, November 24, 2008, 03:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solarplexus

Hi there,

I'm going back to the basics... The good old DS-1.  I have all I need to build it, but I want to know if it's the exact replica (without the flip-flop and the protection diode) or if it's just a "sound alike" like it advertises.  I want to mod it, like I used to mod it before but if it's not similar enough I'll just go buy one, although I'd rather do it myself. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
DIY Poser.

5thumbs

Mathieu:

If you look at the schematics for the Tonepad DS-1 and the BOSS DS-1 (the schem for which can be found on Page 3 here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/Build_Your_Own_DS-1_Distortion.pdf), you'll see that the schems are very similar, but not identical...in ways other than the Tonepad's omission of the input/output buffers and flip flop.  You'll see that he uses different values for many of the components than in the BOSS DS-1 schem.  I bet Francisco was going for a sound-alike in the Tonepad version, not an exact replica of the BOSS circuit in true-bypass format.

I've heard that the Tonepad DS-1 sounds very much like a BOSS DS-1, so if the stock DS-1 sound is your goal, then the Tonepad board will work.

If you want a true-bypass version of the DS-1 that is very close to the original BOSS circuit, look at Pages 8-12 of http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/Build_Your_Own_DS-1_Distortion.pdf.  I wanted to make a TB DS-1 that was still moddable with various mods available on the Internet.  That's why my TB DS-1 uses matching component values and labels wherever possible.

If you're interested in building a full replica of the BOSS DS-1, complete with flip-flop switching and I/O buffers, Miqbal's design on Pages 3-7 of http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/Build_Your_Own_DS-1_Distortion.pdf can help you DIY that project as well.  Mind you, it is cheaper to buy a BOSS DS-1 than build Miqbal's project.  He did it because: 1) DS-1 pedals are expensive in Indonesia and 2) he's really smart and reverse-engineered his DS-1 design from PCB shots on the Internet.  :)

Hope that helps.  Good luck!
If you're building or modding a DS-1, please check out my 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc. Thanks!

solarplexus

Wow thanks Brett!

So the parts in the True Bypass version are the same than in the stock version then except for the flip flop and the buffers?  That would be perfect for me to mod it like I use to mod it. 

Let me know!

Matt
DIY Poser.

5thumbs

Quote from: solarplexus on November 24, 2008, 08:59:57 PM
Wow thanks Brett!

You're welcome.  :)

Quote from: solarplexus on November 24, 2008, 08:59:57 PM
So the parts in the True Bypass version are the same than in the stock version then except for the flip flop and the buffers?  That would be perfect for me to mod it like I use to mod it. 

While not identical in every component (there are some components for biasing the output-side switching FET that were omitted and pull-down resistors added at the end of the circuit to help minimize chances of switch popping...but even with those, I used component labels and values from the output buffer of the BOSS DS-1), it was my goal to make the TB version of the DS-1 as close as possible to the original.  I did include Keeley's SEM/Ultra mods on the board, but if you do not wish to use them, just install jumpers as directed in the doc and you'll have the closest thing to a TB BOSS DS-1 that I've come across.

If you're building or modding a DS-1, please check out my 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc. Thanks!