Speaker Disconnect

Started by kurtlives, December 04, 2008, 05:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurtlives

Building a Ruby that has a built in speaker, also drilled a hole so the you can just use the Ruby as a head and hook it up to a cab.....

How would I go about wiring the speaker output jack so once a lead is interested into it then the internal speaker is disconcerted?

12A stereo jacks?

Thanks...Chris
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

kurtlives

Stero 12B jack....attach + of interanl speaker to ring.

Once jack is inserted the internal speaker gets shorted out and all that is left is the speaker out jack or what not.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Zben3129

Get a shorted when not in use output jack (6 pins for stereo 4 for mono)

Connect output to tip and sleeve as usual

On the shorting pins connect the internal speaker

Zach

kurtlives

How does that differ from the idea in my second post?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Zben3129

I'm not sure if I understood it correctly, but are you saying that when you insert a jack the + of the speaker then gets attatched to the sleeve of a mono jack, kind of like power switching in effects.

If so, then you are shorting out the internal speaker as you said, which shorts your output to ground. Mine disconnects the speaker entirely with a jack inserted, not short across it.

Zach

kurtlives

Hmmm...good points.

But when the jack is inserted the internal speaker is totally shorted but you have a external speaker now connected....
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Zben3129

the signal will take the shortest/least resistive path to ground, and nothing beats a short  ;)

Zach

kurtlives

I just found a jack with 8 pins on it...no idea if it will work...How do I test it?

Any other ways of doing what I want to do?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

petemoore

I think it's called 'mono switching jack'...
  has a sleeve lug, a tip lug, and a lug to a wiper/contact which touches the tip wiper, unless a plug is inserted, in which case the tip wiper is pushed away from and breaks contact with the 'wiper/contact' lug, disconecting the internal speaker, the inserted plug also [hopefully] connects the amp to the external speaker.
  A tendancy toward preferring outputs to speakers be as hardwired as possible...I think the Ruby will be fine with switched speakers though.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

kurtlives

Ya thats exactly what I did...Yorick tipped me off on the idea.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Zben3129

Thats basically what I was trying to say. I didn't know they made jacks that had just the tip with a switch/conductor thing, good to know.

Zach