Warm switch

Started by svstee, December 08, 2008, 03:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svstee

Hi all, first new topic.
I've been lurking here for a couple months, you guy now your stuff!
Anyways, I drew this up on DIY layout creator.

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn71/svsguitarhero/?action=view&current=warmswitch.gif

How does it look? I'm planning tp use it to warm up any decent distortion that uses clipping diodes for rythm playing, while retaining the option of some brighter sounds.

Thanks!

Zben3129

One way you have a cap in parallel with the clipping diodes, the other way you have no diodes at all (shorted). If this is what you want then yes it is correct.

Zach

svstee

Oh, man.
So if I don't want to short the diodes, I just don't jumper the bottom lugs of the dpdt switch?

slacker

yeah just leave off the jumper, then you get just diodes with the switch one way and diodes+cap with it in the other.

Welcome to the forum :)

R.G.

If you want to do a "warm switch" that way, put the cap in series with a 22M resistor or two 10M resistors. Use the switch to short/unshort the resistor(s).
This will effectively remove the cap when the switch is open, and insert it when the switch closes.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

svstee

R.G., what would the advantage of your method be over just using the cap and switch?

R.G.

No big pops when the switch switches.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

svstee

Actually, the only time I'm concerned about popping is when I'm building a boost or overdrive. I have a Morley volume pedal at the end of my board, so unless it is and effect I'll be switching on in the middle of a song I'm not worried. Thanks though. 

Zben3129

There will be a potential difference in DC voltage in the feedback loop between the cap on and cap off...22m will help lessen this while being a large enough value to keep the cap essentially disconnected. Worth doing

Zach

svstee

Thanks guys!

Another thought: I was sketching between classes today and drew up a couple of ways to do the same thing using an spdt or spst switch, but Ithink they are all wrong. Is it possible?

Zben3129

SPST:

Connect the cap+series resistor(s) as if they were a part of the circuit

Connect switch on the outsides of the 10m/22m resistor(s)...one position shorts the resistors (on position) and one position keeps the resistors "in tact" (off/stock position)

Zach

svstee

But wouldn't that just take the resistor out of the circuit? I need to be able to take the cap in and out of the circuit.

Zben3129

With the resistors in the circuit the cap is essentially out of the circuit...22m ohms of resistance is A LOT  ;D

Zach

svstee

Ohhhh, I get it now.

Pardon the noob, please.

I think I've got it taken care of. Thanks all!

svstee