Looking for some ideas

Started by Radamus, December 09, 2008, 04:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radamus

I'm looking for a couple things to build over the upcoming holiday break. At the moment, I have all the parts for the PWM and the ugly face except for the 386 chips. I only bought one for whatever reason, and I fried it before I figured out what sockets were for. So I need to buy a couple of those. I want to make my purchase worthwhile, so I need to order more than just the 386's.

I am a bass player mainly. I have built a meatball and I like it a lot. I also have a big muff and a bazz fuss. I built a seven band EQ, which I'm really happy with. I'm into weird spacey stuff sometimes, so anything that might help me there would be cool. I like a lot of electronic sounds, but not monophonic ones. I like chords too much. If there's any type of weird or interesting filters I could mess with, that might be cool, too. I'm not really looking for the typical route of effects. I might like a square wave shaper, or something like that. I know I've seen a couple, but I don't know what would be best. I'm looking for bizarre but I'd like functional as well. I've built a meatball, so I can handle complex if it's worth it.

I also have all the parts for a paralooper and a deluxe bazz fuss, but those aren't that interesting right now.

So, if you have any recommendations, that would be cool. Also, if anyone knows of any good, local electronics stores in the Phoenix, Arizona area, let me know. I'm trying to go local, if I can.

Thanks.

Radamus

I'm starting to feel like I've built most of what bass guitar effects have to offer. I'm looking for where to go from here. It doesn't make much sense to me to make a bunch of fuzzes, but I'd like to know a little more about filters. I know that there are a couple out there that are usually for synthesizers. Are there any interesting things to try out? I don't know much about effects, but I imagine there's gotta be something.

If there's any way I can be more specific to get some responses, let me know.

Thanks again. This board has been really helpful in getting me this far.

Conrad

Edit: I was thinking I might want to make some sort of chorus, but I know a lot of chourses are spring related. Any input?

GibsonGM

Have you built an amp yet?  A big ol' tube job is a great and logical next step to FX building.

Chorus might be cool...I think you might need some expensive IC's, though...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

sean k

I reckon a good thing for bass is to create a set of filters, with cut and boost, like we use in stereos to send the signal to the different sized speakers, bass, mid and treble, but use those outs to put different pedals on then have a small mixer to get it all back again. That way you can overdrive the bass, distort the mids then use some swirlies on the highs like wahs, phasers etc.

http://sound.westhost.com/project09.htm
The above is for +15/-15

I think the limiting factor with bass is that various fx are made for mids to highs mostly and alot don't work down low, though I've always liked tremolo and delay on bass myself, so if you can throw your signal three ways you can start figuring out how to get the best use for each band of frequencies.

Another option is to have a simple low pass high pass on the front end of fx so the bass immediately bybasses and only the high mids and above go through a particular fx.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

Radamus

Gibson. I was thinking about building an amp. I'm not sure I have the money for all of the parts, (mainly the speakers), but if you have any recommendations for where to find more information, that would be awesome. And I definitely want to go tube if I do make an amp.

Sean K, That idea is really new to me. I'll have to think about what it amounts to in the end. I like having the effects reach the bassier frequencies, but I can see where that would be useful. I need to give that some thought, for sure. And if nothing else, that's really useful for the amp building.

I've read a lot about the acoustic 360. I'm not sure I'd want to build it into the amp, but I might want to incorporate it somehow. It seems like it could be useful for the tone controls and the fuzz, but I'm not sure I always want it at the end of the signal chain. Is it difficult to make it into a tube pre amp?

The frightening thought is this: Once I build an amp, have a functioning envelope filter, a couple fuzzes, a delay, and an EQ, where do I go then?

Best not to think about it now I suppose.

How do you guys feel about the Rebote 2 delay? It seems like a really easy build for the payoff, and it seems like the initial sound is always analog, even if the delayed part is digital. That puts some of my anxiety to rest. Anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other? Is there a better one? Anyone have an opinion on the best/worst flanger? I checked out the electric mistress and a few others. How are they on bass?

Thanks again.

sean k

Once you've built all this stuff... you make music with it. This tends to get you really using the fx and coming up with new ideas. I got into this thing where I just built and didn't play... but thats over now and I play lots... now I know what I want fx to do for me!

Don't worry, just build.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

oldrocker

Try building the first version of the Rebote.  I've built the 2.5 version also with crazy endless repeats both were perfboard.  The first Rebote version is my favorite.  Easy to perf and sounds amazing.  I haven't built version 2 yet.
Here's a pic of the Slow Gear and Prineton Delay(Rebote version 1).  Both pedal were built within 2 weeks of each other.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc93/ftrock/sdsdf.jpg

Radamus

What are the differences between the original and the 2.5? I like the idea of the infinite repeats. Also, is there any way I can get a blinking indicator in either one?

Also, I found this article with a google search. I couldn't figure out what part of GGG it came from when I visited the main page, but here's the link: www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/pt80techinfo.pdf

Anyone know anything about this pedal? I don't want to bite off more than I can  chew, but I want to know how to get the best sound out of this unit. Does the Rebote do any of the filtering that this article talks about? I'm still somewhat new to all the theory, and I have no idea about digital, so any help would be awesome.

Thanks

Radamus

I did a lot of research into the digital delay pedals (rebote, PT-80, Echobase) and I posted a bit in the echobase forum. I thought of one other thing that I've been confused about and I'm hoping someone can answer this. I asked it a while back, too and got nothing.

What is a resonance filter? I have a digital multi-effects thing that I was never fully satisfied with, but it has a resonance filter, which seems to me a different type of autowah. Instead of the wah sound, it's more like a dwiuh. I know that Les Claypool has had a similar sound on a lot of his recent albums. I'll try to find a clip somewhere and post it, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about off the top of their head, please let me know.

Thanks

Meanderthal

Try a search for he Morula, it's a simple but interesting modulation effect for bass.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Radamus

I've done a lot of looking around and I have come up with two pedals. I would like to make an echobase (stereo) and I would like to make an FSH-1. I think that these are the only sounds I don't have yet, for the most part. The echobase is the only economical chorus/flanger/phaser/delay available because those BBD chips are expensive (If I'm wrong, let me know, I'd make one if the chips were cheaper). The FSH-1 has a lot of interesting potential for me. The filter sounds really good, from what I've heard, and the random effects would be cool.

I also got a microphone for a holiday gift. It has a cable that takes XLR down to 1/4" cable, and it has worked in all of my pedals so far, except the synth section of the blue box, but that pedal never worked well. The fuzzes I have (muff and Bazz) did not add enough distortion. Anyone out there into vocal effects?

I'll be ordering soon, so if you have ay more recommendations for me, I'd be happy to hear them. The morula has been considered dead by the original author(I think), so that one's kind of out for me.

Thanks again for the help.
Conrad

runmikeyrun

I'm a bass player who has built many effects.  A lot didn't work well on bass but some did once i tweaked them properly.  I too built lots of fuzzes when i started and even up until last month, always in search of that perfect bass distortion!  What i should have done was build a blend box, so i could feed a regular distortion pedal in and then blend in dry signal.  That's what all my fuzz boxes were missing, and i didn't get that until I got my MXR M-80 DI which allows you to blend in dry signal.  the bottom and punch came right back into my sound!  I recommend any bass player using a fuzz build a blender.

I built the PT-80 delay using the schematic and etched pcb from generalguitargadgets.com.  It sounds great on bass and has good oscillation for noise purposes.  It also gets gritty repeats on long delay/high regen settings, especially if you use a bigger value delay pot.  I added a tempo indicator circuit which was really cool. 

Right now i'm working on the twincaster, using (2) 12au7 tubes.  It's a relatively clean boost but i'm working on dirtying it up.  I don't need it to shred, just to warm up my signal before it hits the M-80 since that runs a SS power amp.  After that it's a tremcaster, which is a 12au7 tube pre/tremolo.  Trem effects sound neat on bass but again you need to have some raw signal under there to hold down the bottom end.  I'm going to have to play with the tremcaster circuit to accomplish this.

Good luck, and stock up on 0.47 and 1uF caps, they are the key to bass-player-izing most guitar oriented effect circuits.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Radamus

Thanks for the response. I've been thinking about distortion a little bit. Maybe I should think a little more. Also, I'm getting pretty tired of using 9volt batteries. What is the best way to go about building a power supply or should I just buy one? How do they work? What is a good sort of thing to have in one? So far, everything I use is 9v or 12 volt, but they all can use 9 volt, if I can only have one. Are there good IC's for regulating voltage and current? I know there are some IC's that make 5 volts, but will they stand up to 120v AC? Any recommendations about that would be great. Also, is there a good place to buy those mini cables in bulk? I have a bunch of quarter inch male-ends, and a non-functioning cable, so I was thinking of just cutting it and soldering, but that would be a real pain in the ass. If they're not too expensive some place, that would be really cool. At the local guitar store they're probable between 5 and 10 dollars apiece.

I'm still trying to figure out what a resonance filter is, too, if anyone knows. And I'm always interested in any other kind of filter.

Rummikeyrun, did you build the M-80? I saw a topic about that a while back and I was somewhat curious, but they said the PCB was double sided and difficult. I imagine their double sided PCB can make a wider one-sided perfboard for me, if you've got the schematic. Any other favorite distortions? Favorite fuzz? I built the muff and bazz fuss and have been mostly satisfied. If there's another one you'd recommend, I might add it to the list. Most of them aren't that complicated anyway.

Thanks
Conrad

runmikeyrun

The m-80 build would be insane, if you could even find a schematic for it.  For $140 it's worth it just to buy.  As for a fuzz, i really liked the way the IC muff fuzz and the Tufnel sounded on bass.  Lots of gain.  Both are pretty solid state sounding but could be made to sound different with the right eq.  I'm not sure what sound it is you're looking for.  I have a tufnel here that i built but i'm not sure what i'm going to do with it.  I will try to record a clip into my computer on bass and if you like it we can talk about a trade.
Bassist for Foul Spirits

runmikeyrun

ok here's the tufnel on bass directly into the soundcard.  I think it could benefit from a tone control that humped the mids and rolled off the treble some, i installed one but it doesn't operate the way i want it to.  Anyways, check it out at www.myspace.com/dissoluteideas1  If you're interested in it PM me we'll work something out. 
Bassist for Foul Spirits

Radamus

I'm having some trouble playing that clip (it's the only one on the myspace, right?). I'll keep those fuzzes in mind. What makes that M-80 so complicated?

runmikeyrun

I dunno what's wrong with the page.  I uploaded it last night and when i just checked now it still wasn't up.  Then i signed in and now it appears on the page.  It's entitled Tufnel Bass.  It starts at lowest gain, goes to middle amount, then full gain.   
Bassist for Foul Spirits

Radamus

The clip worked. I think that's a little more distortion than I need. Thanks for the idea, though.

I think I've sufficiently squandered my holiday break (damn you, wii) but I managed to pick up some 386's at radio shack for a reasonable double price. So I think from here I'm going to try to make the echobase, the FSH-1, a couple other filters here, an amp (might have to figure out some tubes. They're pretty expensive, right?) and an acoustic 360 clone. Anyone have any additional suggestions?

Thanks for all the help guys. I know it's kind of rude to just ask for general help like this, but I've been searching and there's just so much stuff. I don't know what will be useful and what won't, and what will sound good on bass. I'm especially clueless on amps. I figure that they're mostly the same as effects (amplify a signal) but I don't really know how speakers work. I was thinking of doing something really creative, like building two identical amps that can be set up on different sides of a stage or hooked together somehow. I'll see if I can keep the weight down. I've got a small bass amp that takes two hands and considerable effort to move.

It looks like I'm looking for general advice for where to take my electronics work.

Again, thanks a lot.

Conrad