News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Blown IC

Started by MTCA, December 09, 2008, 06:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTCA

Hi,

I recently blew up my Boss TU-2 (among others...) and can't find a schematic for it... The IC1 (looks like a transistor) is in two pieces but I don't really know what it is... it's marked S815 , C50a and 3125  . Anyone can help me out with this one..? The power-LED is always on when it's powered with battery or PSU and it's plugged in...

Thanks,
M

R.G.

That's interesting. How exactly did you blow it up?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

MTCA

It blew up after some major voltage fluctuations in a club... it was powered with a 1SPOT. Only my Boss pedals were damaged (TU2 and DS1). I fixed the DS1 by replacing a electrolytic capacitor that had, literally, BLOWN up. I heard them both blow, and smoke came out of all jacks  :icon_rolleyes: the adaptor is also broken, but I bought a pedal power :)

mth5044

That sucks to hear, but that must have looked awesome.

MTCA

Haha... it did!  :icon_wink: when i stomped them afterwards it came puffs of smoke from the three jacks, a cool effect in its self  :icon_cool:

But I really hope to be able to fix the TU2, since I managed to with  the DS1...

R.G.

Quote from: MTCA on December 09, 2008, 07:45:51 PM
It blew up after some major voltage fluctuations in a club... it was powered with a 1SPOT. Only my Boss pedals were damaged (TU2 and DS1). I fixed the DS1 by replacing a electrolytic capacitor that had, literally, BLOWN up. I heard them both blow, and smoke came out of all jacks   the adaptor is also broken, but I bought a pedal power
Wow. That's some interesting fireworks. But I guess there's not much that can be done when the power network goes mad.

I can't find a schemo for it, but I'd guess it's a voltage regulator. Can you get a good picture of the top of the PCB? If I see the parts, I may be able to guess from the others what it may be. It is possible that all the ICs are fried. Tuners are often almost all logic circuits, and they die if they get more than 5V (or less for some of them). But it's worth putting in new parts to try.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

slacker

Quote from: R.G. on December 10, 2008, 08:38:49 AM
I can't find a schemo for it, but I'd guess it's a voltage regulator.

Good guess sir, I just popped mine open and I'm certain it's a 5 volt regulator. 1 leg is grounded, another is connected to the +9  volt terminal of the DC jack through a 1N400X type diode and the third has 5 volts on it with connections from it going all over the place. So I don't see what else it can be.

I guess it can be replaced with a 78L05 except that the pinout is different. Looking at the board from the trace side with the DC jacks at the top the pinout is  Ground, Input, Output.

MTCA

Thanks for the replies!!!

The only voltage regulators I have is 7815... I guess thats 15V, and will probably not work, right? I'm kind of new to this...  :icon_rolleyes:

Zben3129

Yeah no go on the 7815. You want to look for 7805 (which is NOT 7905). Hopefully the regulator blew without slamming the other IC's in the process.

Zach

MTCA

Hmm... there isn't any other smart way to try to regulate the voltage?? If not, I have to order parts from germany or so, and maybe it wont work...  :icon_rolleyes:

BlueToad

You'd probably want a 78L05, in a to-92 pack, a 7805 is typically in a TO-220 and rated for 3-5x more current.
If it isn't broken, take it apart and fix it!

Zben3129

I thought the regulator in the TU-2 was a 220 package? Maybe not I just seem to remember that from something

Just use whatever matches  ;D

German

Maybe 5.1v Zener would help?

MTCA

Zben3129

9v - 5.1v = 3.9v

9v - 4v = 5v

I don't think I would use a zener here. Its regulated for a reason I am assuming. Logic chips are picky and damageable.

Zach

MTCA

Quote from: Zben3129 on December 11, 2008, 04:50:01 PM
9v - 5.1v = 3.9v

9v - 4v = 5v

I don't think I would use a zener here. Its regulated for a reason I am assuming. Logic chips are picky and damageable.

Zach

Ok, thanks for answering  :)

I'll try to get my hands on a voltage regulator then...  :)