dynamic overhype

Started by mat, December 13, 2008, 10:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat

I just built the dynamic overhype from Andy's layout: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/album26/dynamic_overhype.gif.html. While I personally like more of Arons Shaka-series this is a nice OD circuit. I also noticed that the C9 being 220n the tone pot seems to do a very little. Does the original circuit really have 220n in there ? I tried also Martys suggestion of 69n and then the tone pot works as suggested. Might put up sound clip when a find the time.

Any suggestion(s) for further boost the mids on this circuit ?

Thanks Andy for the layout,
Matti T.

chilecocula

I think that overdrive with a mid boost is a tube screamer with different diode combinations, so you can try every TS mod with that ciruit.
in conservative stompboxes, tone is neither created nor destroyed, but transformed

DougH

Typical TS tone control caps are .22u. Don't know if that helps but you might try it.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

mat

Quote from: DougH on December 14, 2008, 11:01:47 AM
Typical TS tone control caps are .22u. Don't know if that helps but you might try it.

The overhype has .22u caps for C9 and C10. Did You mean I should try bigger ones on place of them ?
I'm sucker for those fat mid rangey overdrive tones. Any suggestion to make the overhype to have eaven more mids ?

I tried the build tonight at band reherseals and it sounded very good indeed  8) 

Matti T.

John Lyons

Try a 5K or even 2K linear pot for the tone control.
In the original tube screamer they used a "w" taper pot.
With a 5K pot you will get a better range of treble.
With the 25K or 20K pot it's very dark until you get to about 3/4 up on the tine knob.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

mat

Quote from: John Lyons on December 14, 2008, 05:32:33 PM
With the 25K or 20K pot it's very dark until you get to about 3/4 up on the tine knob.

john

Thanks John for the tip, I'll try 10k (that I happend to have in my stock) in there (now it has 25k). Now that I have played the pedal I think I like the tone range it gives. I dont need much more treble with my setup but will try the 10k for sure.

Any further midrange boost tips ?

Thanks,
Matti T.

BDuguay

Quote from: John Lyons on December 14, 2008, 05:32:33 PM

john

I've not heard of a 'W' taper pot. Wat's that all about John?
B.

slacker

A W taper is basically half reverse log and half log. So it ramps up quickly at one end then goes roughly linear in the middle then ramps up at the other end, something like that anyway.

DougH

QuoteThe overhype has .22u caps for C9 and C10. Did You mean I should try bigger ones on place of them ?

No. You mentioned a 220n and I thought that might be it. I can't tell what is what on the layout but on the TS schem there is a .22u used as part of the tone control.

mat

Quote from: DougH on December 15, 2008, 09:46:03 AM
QuoteThe overhype has .22u caps for C9 and C10. Did You mean I should try bigger ones on place of them ?

No. You mentioned a 220n and I thought that might be it. I can't tell what is what on the layout but on the TS schem there is a .22u used as part of the tone control.

.22u=220n, sorry I'm an ass, I don't get it - maybe a language barrier. Krhm! so what did You ment ?

Matti T.

DougH

:icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

Oh wait a second, nope, that's me... :icon_redface:

For some reason I see "220n" and my mind thinks "220p". Then I think, no that's "n" so I think of .0022u (22n) instead... :icon_wink:

Just ignore my comments... :icon_wink:

John Lyons

[/quote]
Thanks John for the tip, I'll try 10k (that I happend to have in my stock) in there (now it has 25k). Now that I have played the pedal I think I like the tone range it gives. I dont need much more treble with my setup but will try the 10k for sure.

Thanks,
Matti T.
[/quote]

A smaller tone pot won't give you any more treble, it just shifts the usable range of the pots travel so that the "useable" range of the pot is spread across the travel of the pot. Example: Instead of having to turn the tone up to 2-3 o'clock you can keep it near 12 and have a good range of turning it down or up from there and still sounding good. Most of the "good" sounds are bunched up near the last third of the tone controls rotation with a 20-25K pot. Depends on the amp and your settings of course...

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

mat

Quote from: John Lyons on December 15, 2008, 03:26:37 PM

Thanks,
Matti T.
[/quote]

A smaller tone pot won't give you any more treble, it just shifts the usable range of the pots travel so that the "useable" range of the pot is spread across the travel of the pot. Example: Instead of having to turn the tone up to 2-3 o'clock you can keep it near 12 and have a good range of turning it down or up from there and still sounding good. Most of the "good" sounds are bunched up near the last third of the tone controls rotation with a 20-25K pot. Depends on the amp and your settings of course...

john

[/quote]

OK, thanks for clearing that out.

Matti T.

mat

Quote from: DougH on December 15, 2008, 11:36:50 AM
:icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

Oh wait a second, nope, that's me... :icon_redface:

For some reason I see "220n" and my mind thinks "220p". Then I think, no that's "n" so I think of .0022u (22n) instead... :icon_wink:

Just ignore my comments... :icon_wink:

No problem ! Happends to me all the time  :icon_biggrin:

Matti T.

hairyandy

Quote from: mat on December 13, 2008, 10:28:27 PM
I just built the dynamic overhype from Andy's layout: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/album26/dynamic_overhype.gif.html. While I personally like more of Arons Shaka-series this is a nice OD circuit. I also noticed that the C9 being 220n the tone pot seems to do a very little. Does the original circuit really have 220n in there ? I tried also Martys suggestion of 69n and then the tone pot works as suggested. Might put up sound clip when a find the time.

Matti T.

Thanks Mat, I had fun working that one out.  If you notice, it's the same layout as Torchy's Tubescreamer on vero with the Landgraf mods added.  I guess I should've converted all of Torchy's "n" values to the "uf" equivalent, sorry for the confusion guys!

Glad you dig it, I like it a lot more than my stock Tubescreamers...

Andy
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

mat

Quote from: hairyandy on December 15, 2008, 10:34:09 PM

Matti T.

Thanks Mat, I had fun working that one out.  If you notice, it's the same layout as Torchy's Tubescreamer on vero with the Landgraf mods added.  I guess I should've converted all of Torchy's "n" values to the "uf" equivalent, sorry for the confusion guys!

Andy

Yes, You are right - thanks goes to Torchy also  :icon_cool:

Btw. Have You tried to stack IC's on this one ? I'm going to try that + try different IC in there. I experimented the stacking on a different circuit with great results.

Matti T.

hairyandy

Quote from: mat on December 16, 2008, 06:14:19 AM
Quote from: hairyandy on December 15, 2008, 10:34:09 PM

Matti T.

Andy

Yes, You are right - thanks goes to Torchy also  :icon_cool:

Btw. Have You tried to stack IC's on this one ? I'm going to try that + try different IC in there. I experimented the stacking on a different circuit with great results.

Matti T.

I haven't tried stacking IC's but I'll bet it'll sound good.  This pedal sounds like it's more "open" and has more headroom in the "no diodes" position which I think would probably sound pretty good with some of the more "hi-fi" sounding IC's like the Burr-Browns.  Who knows?  Try different stuff and see what you like and then report back!  Personally, I like the sound with no diodes the best and plan on making one fixed that way.  The less options the better IMO...:)

Andy
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

petemoore

More treble...reduce the value of the treble reducing capacitors.
  Anything from signal path to ground, also the cap across the diodes in the FB loop [however the FB loop cap seems to help eliminate hiss].
  ...cut some bass and everything else can sound bigger, try 'another' input capacitor, smaller value.
   [equal caps in series = 1/2 the value], I'm no good at reading verolayouts, but perhaps a second cap in series [but there's that input resistor...], spliced using the input wire...would make it easy to swap values, see if you like less bass.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

mat

Quote from: petemoore on December 16, 2008, 11:09:40 AM
  More treble...reduce the value of the treble reducing capacitors.
  Anything from signal path to ground, also the cap across the diodes in the FB loop [however the FB loop cap seems to help eliminate hiss].
  ...cut some bass and everything else can sound bigger, try 'another' input capacitor, smaller value.
   [equal caps in series = 1/2 the value], I'm no good at reading verolayouts, but perhaps a second cap in series [but there's that input resistor...], spliced using the input wire...would make it easy to swap values, see if you like less bass.

Thanks Pete for the tip. I like it actually quite alot how it is now. I ended using a single 4558 IC. Tried stacking but it did little in this circuit to my ears anyway.

Here are couple quick clips of the build. ES-339 bridge PU - LDOH - tube amp (with reverb and delay on the fx loop) -  SM57 + diy mic - micpre - PC (Audiophile2496) - (clip2) doubled the solo track - no further processing.

The other clip is with just one guitar. First the effect bypassed, then with si-diodes and last the red-leds position. I noticed ocassional ugly clipping that was not present when playing, maybe too hot signal.. sorry.

Other clip is a short wamp with the comp guitar, solo guitar and drums.

http://www.soundclick.com/updateband/songInfo.cfm?bandID=241481&updated=7206118&name

cheers,
Matti T.