Toggle-through footswitch for phaser pedal's number of phase stages?

Started by ZiggyZipgun, January 07, 2009, 02:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZiggyZipgun

I'm sure it's possible, but I really have no idea where to begin.  My phaser has 4 stages, and I'm planning on adding a separate board for at least 2 more stages - I had been planning on using a 3-way toggle switch to choose between 2/4/6 stages, but the idea of being able to skip-through them, with an LED to display the number, would be rather handy.  Any suggestions?

oskar

4017 clocking a 4016, one switch will be on at a time...      8)

ZiggyZipgun

Care to elaborate?  I am new to digital controls, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can.  Would a momentary SPST work as the control?  I'm reading up on the 4017 now, but any additional info would be a big help.  Thanks so far though!

oskar

Unfortunately I don't quite have time to elaborate on it right now. I've been logged in here like a madman over the past three weeks and I really need a break...    :P
Basically the 4017 will keep one of it's output high and is triggered by a clock input. Reset will make go high on pin... is it 0? if you don't want/need or are afraid of a certain number you short the output to the reset pin. It will go to zero when it comes to this stage in the sequence. 4022 is the same chip but with puny 8 stages instead of 10.

You will need a circuit to transform your switching into a clean pulse. R/C net + ~40106 inverter (schmitt-trigger action)

The 4016 is rather self explanatory. One of the switches will be open at a time.
Other alternatives would be for instance the 4051 one of eight chip. Check it up...
That's about it. Happy switching.

oskar