speaker box practice amp

Started by sickbend, December 30, 2008, 06:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sickbend

oh this was a good deal 10 inch speake box for 10 bucks my plans a ruby, tube ruby or tube/lm380 practice/recording amp what you guys think? any place for a decent 10 inch speaker under say 50 shipped?

sean k

I couldn't say a particular place but I've always had good luck using NOS alnico speakers with semi ridged paper cones. Old radio stores and the suchlike usually have good second hand and occasinally NOS stuff for very reasonable prices and because they were used in radios and early stereos then the power ratings were usually very low... say 2 - 10 watts.

And don't be put off by the fact that they aren't always round... often elliptical, and occasional like a long bar... interesting sounds from them all. Two 4ohms in series equals 8ohms... as they were often only available in 4 ohms.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

The Iron Chef

My Noisy cricket has a Jensen MOD 8" speaker. It sounds really good. Better than all the old radio speakers and home stereo speakers that I tried out.  Start looking here for your 10" model. http://www.usspeaker.com/jensen%20mod10-35-1.htm

hth
-Keith
-Keith
I build stuff everyday.

Zben3129

Captainobvious99

For a decent cheap speaker, try here:

www.partsexpress.com

petemoore

Those are fine choices of speakage.
  The hole looks larger than for a 10'' speaker, in the picture.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

sickbend

the width of the box is 12 inches wide and from bolt to bolt its about 9 3/4 inches im asuming thats a 10 inch speaker i think i might use a jensen mod 10/35 or a celestion tube 10 i have a super 8 in my kustom amp and i really dig it

Joe Hart

I would recommend the Jensen MOD speakers to anyone! I tossed an 8" in a little amp that I made and it sounds amazing! Very crunchy, detailed, and crisp! NICE!! And the price is dirt cheap!!
-Joe Hart

suprleed

I've used Jensen Mod and Ceramic speakers on several of my projects with good success.  I've also heard good things about Weber speakers.  Zben's recommendation above for 10" Weber alnico @ $40 sounds like an amazing bargain to me.  I've never seen Alnico's that cheap!
"That's the way I play" ~EC